Padi Advanced OW - Deep stops??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nikole

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm (still) shopping around for wrist computers and would like to know, in the Padi advanced open water course, during your deep dives, did you ever do a deep stop or anything? That way rule in, or rule out choosing a dive computer with that feature.

So far as I know PADI does DSAT tables exclusively to the extent that they discuss decompression models. So no deep stops. If that is what you are looking for it will be instructor specific. Generally deep stops are not going to be addressed in most of the mainline agencies at a AOW level. There are more technically oriented agencies that may teach this at a rec level.

When I did my AOW we did not do deep stops, just the normal safety stops at 15ft for 3 minutes. We did talk about how a lot of computers are being released now with deep stops enabled by default.

I wouldn't choose a computer based on that feature. A lot of computers do have the option to turn on/off deep stop however so you can always enable/disable it as needed.

Neither the Deep Diver adventure dive or course doesn't teach any decompression theory.

Deep stops are a, normally optional, feature on some dive computers. You'd conduct the training dives using whatever computer you had.

The Deep Diver specialty course training dives don't require anything more than a normal ascent and safety stop. On one dive you'll do a simulated 8 minute emergency deco stop.

I teach extra on my Deep Diver courses... Like variable ascent rates, staged safety stops, redundant gas use and basic deco and algorithm theory. But most courses / instructors do that do that.

PADI Deep Diver versus the Tec40 Course: A Comparison

No, you won't do deep stops in your AOW course.

I would recommend the Shearwater Perdix. If it is more than you are budgeting (it's around $800) then obviously that's a real consideration. If it is within your price range, there is nothing else like it. I have both one of these and a small puck computer for my backup. After using the Perdix, I hate my puck. The perdix will do the most sophisticated dive you ever want it to do, but it also has a great recreational mode screen that is easy to read and super simple to use.

Thanks everyone for answering that really helped. I don't know about using a shearwater those look a little too advanced for me. I don't plan on doing any technical diving... Only advanced. I'll have to check the features on it to see what type of divers they are really for.
I've just been looking at the Oceanic Veo 3, suunto d4i (because it seems easy to use and has a it integration) and suunto d6i (because it has the compass and air integration).

As the AOW course is still a recreational course, all dives are within NDL so only the safety stop is mentioned and even then it is an advisory stop not a mandatory stop.

If you exceed NDL, then you enter into the requirement for mandatory stops

the Shearwater is as basic or as complex as you make it out to be and the recreational nitrox mode they have is as good if not better than anything else on the market for recreational divers. Add to that all of the other perks of the Shearwaters and it really makes it a tough decision to want to go with anything else

I don't plan on doing any technical diving... Only advanced.

What is advanced diving to you? This is not a trick question - but may help us understand your needs.

Shearwater, just saw a product review on it.. Looks like it will be better for someone needing Trimix air, even though yes I know there are cheaper computers with the Trimix on it also.
Not my type of wrist computer not my price range.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom