PADI asked me to participate in a survey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But I think the quality of the instructor has a lot to do with what you get out of a course. My instructor was/is excellent and I can't tell you how many times I've heard something along the lines of, "Now I'll teach you this skill the way PADI requires me to teach you and you're going to learn it because PADI wants it taught this way but in my experience..." the more diving I do the more I understand that there is a lot to master with this sport and very little margin for error. I think in trying to make the sport accessable to as wide a range of wallets (um, I mean, people) as possible the cert agencies dumb it down, thereby doing a disservice to the dive community by issuing too many c cards to people who may not be capable to dive with the training they have.

I have taken OW, AOW and Rescue with the same instructor. I also get the, I will teach you the PADI way and then tell you my way. That way you can decide which works best for you. I enjoy learning/knowing more than 1 way to accomplish something and picking which is best for me.

anarekey2000:
But I think the quality of the instructor has a lot to do with what you get out of a course. My instructor was/is excellent and I can't tell you how many times I've heard something along the lines of, "Now I'll teach you this skill the way PADI requires me to teach you and you're going to learn it because PADI wants it taught this way but in my experience..." the more diving I do the more I understand that there is a lot to master with this sport and very little margin for error. I think in trying to make the sport accessable to as wide a range of wallets (um, I mean, people) as possible the cert agencies dumb it down, thereby doing a disservice to the dive community by issuing too many c cards to people who may not be capable to dive with the training they have.

You're quite right, the instructor makes all the difference. The other issues that need to be addressed (industry wide) is the time it takes to become certified. How much can an instructor teach in one weekend or few weeknights? Even more important, how much can a brand spankin' new diver understand/retain in such a short time-frame?

The nice thing about most programs (including PADI) is that they do provide some flexibility for the instructor to complement the information being presented to the student. I spend a lot of time talking about breath control, swim technique and equipment configuration. While none of that is required content, there are a lot of opportunities to add it into the required curriculum.

viajerochevere:
here is what i put in the comments section:
what do yall think?

I think your comments were very constructive, concise and exactly what PADI is looking for in their questionnaires. Doesn't mean they will change anything as changes creep rather than flood into the PADI Curriculum.

Just an FYI, I was reviewing the new PSAI Open Water Manual (www.psai.com) and was pleasantly surprised to see a cursory overview of physics (Archimedes, Boyles, Charles, Dalton's and Henry's laws), and introduction to Oxygen Toxicity (which usually isn't dealt with until someone takes a Nitrox course), an introduction to Nitrox, air management including Surface Consumption Rates, dive and Buddy plannning, decompression diving (introduction to concept only), first aid, and equipment care and maintenance (introduction). Of course, all of this is only as good as the instructor teaching it.

My own two cents: Every time I have ever taken an IANTD course, the instructor has always started off the course by introducing the students to the concept that "certification is earned, not bought! You pay for the training, you earn the C-Card. Additional training dives may be required (at extra cost) should you not complete the requirements in the alloted class." (Not saying this is exclusively an IANTD concept -- just something I have seen consistently mentioned by all instructors). This is the way every class should start!

jcf

///

victor:
Are you sure you want to become a professional (dive master). This is more about observing others dive, demonstrating diving, and organising dives than it is about your own diving ability and to enjoy diving.

I see and read about people doing certification after certification but never doing any diving.

It is not a race to see who can collect the most cards, its about have the best memories of dives you have enjoyed.
:confined:

I want to take the Rescue Diver & Divemaster course to improve my skills. That is the only reason for taking those 2 courses at this time. Now, if I happen to retire on a tropical island some 25 years from now & want to do something other than lay on the beach or dive for pleasure, then I have this skill behind me that I could put to good use & not feel like so much of a bum. :D

P.S. Not really interested in obtaining cards so I can toot my own horn. Who cares? I want the experience!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom