PADI EAN course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When the dives were required we were able to do another specialty at the same time because all skills required for the Nitrox dives were done on land. Only time you could do that. Otherwise briefing was basically breathe in breathe out and repeat as necessary. Now go dive.

Mafiaman:
As-sallamu aleykum

Other then the math of the dive planning, there are no differences on the divers side then with regular air. (Other than O-ring on the tank valve)

Wa aleykum As-salam

what is special about the tank's O-seal??

Depending on how the Nitrox is mixed, the Viton O-ring is used to reduce the chance of fire.

ppo2_diver:
A good instructor will require the dives. You should learn how to rescue a toxing diver (discussed in the course). You should go over a lot of dive planning as well. Planning real dives that you will do, not simulated dives. With the agencies dumbing down their Nitrox courses, there is still a lot of stuff you need to know in the water.
Thankfully PADI does not require that silliness in nitrox. I would not be involved in any training that required this. Since so few toxed divers have actually been rescued it is stupid to think anyone can teach it.

Hmm.. So why are dives required for trimix? After all, it's just more dive planning, inhale exhale and repeat right? Not so.

The truth to all of this is that you can teach people how to plan a dive, but you also need to be able to verify that they can execute that plan. Don't we teach people to plan the dive and dive the plan? So why only verify just one part of that? I don't hand out c-cards unless my students can verify that they are capable of the certification. Anybody can teach the book and hand out a c-card. But can they verify the student has mastered the material?

Let people teach these dumbed down classes. I want to give my students more than just the book and go above what standards say.

Lets see.

Trimix meaning decompression meaning strict adherence to run times, depth and redundant equipment and all the associated drills with it. Procedures for gas switching, carrying gas(es) below their MOD and operating at high PPO2s. Contingency planning for loss of one or other type of gas. Much increased risk of tox.

Whereas we have basic nitrox. No different from diving EAN21 air. Typically single tank at PPO2 of 1.4 or below. CNS not really an issue, only brief is you have a maximum depth... The same as you do diving air.

The things are not comparable.

Advanced nitrox course fair enough but basic nitrox is utterly pointless to force dives on people as its no different to air in execution.

Like String says, BIG difference. Recreational nitrox simply means using different tables and adhering to your MOD. Trimix is a whole different game. You're comparing apples and oranges. Even a simple backgas/one tank deco dive still requires lots of planning and execution. A big thing with trimix is buoyancy control and making sure your run times are rignt on. If they're not, then it can change your whole plan. Too fast of an ascent can also buy you a hit under water. Any of these risks with recreational nitrox - no.

With Tri mix you have a virtual overhead environment over you that you better not violate, fyou need to practice gas switches , carrying extra bottles and such. Whereas with basic Nitrox you are still in recreational diving. Should you do your safety stop? Of course. Will you be OK if you blow it off? Probably. So do your Safety stop anyway.

ppo2_diver:
Hmm.. So why are dives required for trimix? After all, it's just more dive planning, inhale exhale and repeat right? Not so.

The truth to all of this is that you can teach people how to plan a dive, but you also need to be able to verify that they can execute that plan. Don't we teach people to plan the dive and dive the plan? So why only verify just one part of that? I don't hand out c-cards unless my students can verify that they are capable of the certification. Anybody can teach the book and hand out a c-card. But can they verify the student has mastered the material?

Let people teach these dumbed down classes. I want to give my students more than just the book and go above what standards say.

Apples to oranges.....

It's my understanding that nitrox and trimix are NOT the same thing.:mooner:

Back
Top Bottom