Padi Erdp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now we are getting lazy. A dive planner that figures it for you. Next thing we will have a computer that will dive the dive for us and we get to stay on land.

I would think it's actually a LESS valuable tool than the tables. When looking at the "old-fashioned" table, all the data is laid out, so you can observe trends in the numbers along the rows and columns. For instance, it's easy to see something like "Hey, look at the difference in the Non Decompression Limit between 80 and 100 feet, maybe I'll stick to the shallower end of this wreck today." But with this new RDP calculator, you'd need to be motivated enough to plug in different data and make notes.

MrConclusion:
I would think it's actually a LESS valuable tool than the tables. When looking at the "old-fashioned" table, all the data is laid out, so you can observe trends in the numbers along the rows and columns. For instance, it's easy to see something like "Hey, look at the difference in the Non Decompression Limit between 80 and 100 feet, maybe I'll stick to the shallower end of this wreck today." But with this new RDP calculator, you'd need to be motivated enough to plug in different data and make notes.

What it comes down to is safe diving. If there is a tool that will help people plan their dives without error, then that is a worthwhile tool. The same reason I would support computers.

I really don't understand how people can have problems with the usual tables. However, that doesn't mean that people don't have troubles, and another tool to help them can't really hurt.

- ChillyWaters

fishfood:
i know its not a computer but wondering what people think about it...
http://www.padi.com/english/common/products/catalog/erdp.asp

Why would anybody build an electronic equivilant to an algorithm that's easily represented on a single piece of plastic?

If you buy it to avoid learning how to use dive tables, you're only cheating yourself.

Terry

and you can't take it with you... it's only "splash resistent" so you'd still need to know/carry your tables with you on your dives...

Tim

I actually got to use one of these today at my LDS. It took me forever since I was ROFLMAO when I saw it. The owner and I had a race to figure out a two dive dive. I used the RDP and he used the eRDP. I was surprised that I won with no problem. Keep in mind that he has demonstrated this thing a dozen times already. Not bragging here, just the fact that it took forever for him to enter the info.

My LDS was saying it might help people with dyslexia to plan dives easier. Wouldnt buy it myself, cant see the point, but there might be something in it for those with learning difficulties.

I thought it looked pretty cool myself.....as long as you don't use it to cheat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom