Padi Erdp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please tell us which agency is teaching students to just plug the info into a program on a PC for results without understanding some of the theory behind it?

SubMariner:
And just to play devil's advocate (and momentarily hijack the thread) what about the agencies that take it one step further and don't teach any tables, but teach PC use instead?

Isn't that even more "dumbing down"?

Geez.. get off the agency-bashing horse already. It's a dead issue.

Dan Gibson:
Please tell us which agency is teaching students to just plug the info into a program on a PC for results without understanding some of the theory behind it?
That's actually a misunderstanding. SDI teaches diving with a computer instead of tables, but dive computers not PCs. They also teach recreational nitrox with nitrox dive computers as a specialty. They do cover tables but emphasize using the computer and OW students aren't tested on tables for the written exam. I'm not a fan of that method, but there it is.

I would've actually preferred to have more coverage of PC-based deco programs and decompression theory, but understand that hard-and-fast tables are not a bad way to try and keep beginning divers within safe limits. YMMV

I'm not convinced that was the point of SubMariner's post. Maybe SubMariner should explain what was actually meant by that post.

StSomewhere:
That's actually a misunderstanding. SDI teaches diving with a computer instead of tables, but dive computers not PCs. They also teach recreational nitrox with nitrox dive computers as a specialty. They do cover tables but emphasize using the computer and OW students aren't tested on tables for the written exam. I'm not a fan of that method, but there it is.

I would've actually preferred to have more coverage of PC-based deco programs and decompression theory, but understand that hard-and-fast tables are not a bad way to try and keep beginning divers within safe limits. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom