Padi Erdp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I worry that one day it will be in the dive pack for OW. Then what happens when the new diver cant run the numbers in their head. I want one, a brain that is.

I bought the first e-RDP the LDS sold to see how it works. The DMs were not that far behind. I can do my dives as fast as using the table after only a few hours. As time passes and I use it more my speed will increase. I get the feeling that this is going to be part of diving's future and yes it is possible that OW kits will include e-RDPs. In fact I would almost bet on it. OW students can now use it to take the test on chapter 4, 5 and the final. Change always has its detractors and this item will not be any different. My verdict is still out on this addition to my log book binder but what I know is the wind of change is blowing. Like it or not the electronic dive table has arrived and in the words of the Borge “resistance is futile”

Given, life moves forward. But teach the old and the new then, comps fail batteries die. why lose the dive.

crpntr133:
Now we are getting lazy. A dive planner that figures it for you. Next thing we will have a computer that will dive the dive for us and we get to stay on land.

Already do. It's called the internet and SCUBABoard! LOL!

theskull

I was in my LDS last week and saw the first one come into the store and did have to laugh myself. At first glance i did not even have a clue as how to turn it on (i am 25 and in the IT field). So needless to say, if i struggled with it i can only imagine how much harder it will be for people to learn to use the eRDP instead of the slate tables. The dive shop said you are going to need one for your DM class, i thought they were kidding. I picked up my DM materials and along with "the wheel" an eRDP was included. I doubt the entire OW class will be taught with it but we shall see. It doesn't hurt to check your table work against the eRDP and as someone already said you cant bring it down with you.

"You can not bring it down with you" was one of my first thoughts. Then I thought about that statement I had just made to myself. I could not remember that last time I had a dive table on me during a dive. (I own two or three and one is always in my log book along with a wheel) On my BCD's right hand top 'D' ring is a retractor that has a dive computer attached that I have come to trust. That is my dive table and if the batteries go dead then I head for the surface. At 15 ft I will run a 10-15 min stop and recheck the dive using the dive tables at the surface. After installing my spare batteries and recovering the data I will be able to dive the next day. How often has this taken place to me? None as I take the time to check my gear and replace my batteries. So this long thesis asks the question do I need an e-RDP to go down with me. My answer was no.
As a foot note my e-RDP does not have an 'ON' switch. That is why the ENTER button is red. A number of calculators use this format and it makes very good sense if you think about it. That justification is for another forum.

To the skull thanks for the luagh I needed it. Just saying cant remember my slate ever failing. And yep only have mine up top too.

Scubaroo:
What happens when you take a nitrox course? You have to buy an EAN-eRDP?

As a matter of fact yes, it's under development.

The E-RDP won't be an optional part of the openwater crewpack until 2007.

Is the E-RDP necessary? No, Will they sell like hotcakes my guess is yes.

Give an openwater student the option of adding up R_A_T vs. plugging it into a calculator and I guarantee they'll be using the calculator.

I have 20 of them hanging in my shop and a class starting in 2 weeks. My students will learn the tables before I allow the E-RDP but I'll bet you that half the class buys them. (I'll keep you posted).

Dave

Most likely an upgrade that will probably cost more than a new one
03.gif

Scubaroo:
What happens when you take a nitrox course? You have to buy an EAN-eRDP?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom