PADI>>>Is it really worth joining?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

are all bottom bouncing, surface bobbing, coral crashing, silt churning, highly stressed dives does that really indicate that the diver has made any real progress?

Thats the part that Walter and Mike are addressing on their own. Its also the same thing that GUE is addressing with their DIRF program. Every instructor from every agency should be addresssing the skills required to turn out competent divers not just someone who can get underwater and back to the surface without automatically dieing

The few SSI divers I have dove with were very capable and competent.

I have an idea....We just put divers on the end of down-riggers with surface supplied gas and troll around the reef. That way we don't need any training at all. At least we'd be certain of getting the gear back.

Still everybody seems to notice the bad things but nobody has any good proposal on how to improve the quality of training for recreational divers without having to become a navy seal in the process. I dont know if everybody has the time and disposition to follouw GUE/DIR training but does that means they should quit diving?

That was the whole point of my respectuful question, what can be done to continue to allow regular people to dive??, I am not saying the masses because everybody is not fit to dive, specially physically even if they have the best trim/setup and dont bounce off the bottom or suck air like an SUV sucks gas.

The 24 logged dives at least is a start. I am sure there are people with 100s of dives that are as bad as somebody with 24 but at least is a quantifiable measurement.

bye
Ivan:wink:

ivansie once bubbled...
Still everybody seems to notice the bad things but nobody has any good proposal on how to improve the quality of training for recreational divers without having to become a navy seal in the process. I dont know if everybody has the time and disposition to follouw GUE/DIR training but does that means they should quit diving?

That was the whole point of my respectuful question, what can be done to continue to allow regular people to dive??, I am not saying the masses because everybody is not fit to dive, specially physically even if they have the best trim/setup and dont bounce off the bottom or suck air like an SUV sucks gas.

The 24 logged dives at least is a start. I am sure there are people with 100s of dives that are as bad as somebody with 24 but at least is a quantifiable measurement.

bye

I'm sorry I was joking around. Actually I have probably written a hundred pages of my suggestions (what I do) right here on Scuba Board. I spend much time swapping ideas with other instructors and have shared my thoughts and training results with the agencies I'm involved with. My students do not need to be Navy Seals but they look pretty darn good in the water. It's not that hard.

Let me know when your going to be at Haigh for some training. I would love to observe you teach and if there is a need..I can act as a buddy for somebody.

Usually my time at Haigh is spent observing OW students anyway so I don't mind......it is interesting to me to watch students experience the OW for the first time.

Jason

seahunter once bubbled...
May I respectfully suggest that, if PADI didn't exist, the scuba world would be poorly served by the other 25+ disorganized, argumentative, uncooperative local certification agencies who do damn little for the diving community at large. Because PADI is run in a business-like manner and charges market rates for its services it grows and becomes stronger and more valuable to the sport of scuba each year.

LOL! I hope you are just kidding...

jepuskar once bubbled...
Let me know when your going to be at Haigh for some training. I would love to observe you teach and if there is a need..I can act as a buddy for somebody.

Usually my time at Haigh is spent observing OW students anyway so I don't mind......it is interesting to me to watch students experience the OW for the first time.

Jason

I'm going to be there May 17, and 18. I'm doing a Nitrox class for a couple of folks.

I'm thinking about giving my down-rigger idea (see above) a try. What do ya think?:wacko:

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

I'm sorry I was joking around. Actually I have probably written a hundred pages of my suggestions (what I do) right here on Scuba Board. I spend much time swapping ideas with other instructors and have shared my thoughts and training results with the agencies I'm involved with. My students do not need to be Navy Seals but they look pretty darn good in the water. It's not that hard.

Here's a pic of a student in his third (of six) pool session doing a mask replacement while hovering horizontal and neutral. I think he looks pretty darn good. Why might he and the other students look like this when so many instructors out there claim it's not possible? Perhaps it's because the instructor and the DM's were all demonstrating what they expected to see in their students.

Studentoftheweek_Justin.jpg

Of course, in the pool at the same time was another class with the instructor & DM laying on the bottom or kneeling or even standing vertical in the deep end... guess what their students looked like in the water?

Mike, I assummed you were kind of joking so that clarifies...

anyhow, I am all up for good training and for improving whatever I am not doing right or were not taught to do correctly and as any other game/sport it takes practice.

Do you have some of your basic recommendations posted online or on the board summarized so I can check it out... since I cannot go train in Indiana...

It will be interesting to see them.

bye

Back
Top Bottom