PADI>>>Is it really worth joining?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ivansie once bubbled...
Mike, I assummed you were kind of joking so that clarifies...

anyhow, I am all up for good training and for improving whatever I am not doing right or were not taught to do correctly and as any other game/sport it takes practice.

Do you have some of your basic recommendations posted online or on the board summarized so I can check it out... since I cannot go train in Indiana...

It will be interesting to see them.

bye
Ivan:wink:

Wow, There is stuff all over the board. You couls start by just doing searches on things like my name, OW or OW class and stuff like that. I have posted several times some of the major differences between how we teach and how some others do. If you can't find anything let me know and I'll dig some up.

Mike, I will be in Coz from the 10th until the 18th so can't do this time.

I will be there the 24-25th to finish up my rescue class...other than that...not sure when i'll be there next...probably not until it gets warmer. :)

I'm sure we can work something out.

Jason

Mike,

We can write standards that really have some meat. We can call it Superior Hardcore Instructor Training. The only problem is when we certify that 3rd instructor, we've lost absolute control over quality. We'll never be sure that someone isn't cutting corners. That's an issue all agencies face. Actually, I think the Y's standards are quite good, no reason to start another agency.

Ivan,

Mike and I have both discussed what needs to be changed in detail many, many times. The biggest problem won't be fixed because of consumer demand. Most people want fast and cheap. Whatever agency can provide fast and cheap will be certifying the lion's share of divers. The way to get a fast, cheap course is to forget about quality.

Seal training is not an issue. You can teach any skills using methods which make them easy to learn, but more skills means more time. More time means it's longer fast and cheap.

No matter what you might think of PADI as a training organization, their "diving society" thingie IS worth it. Your LDS will not ask you for the card, your supposed to send PADI the reciept of certain things you buy, thats how it works. I've gotten a couple of check from 'em. If you (and your buddies) already have all your gear...well then all your left w/ is the hotel discounts and the mag, still for $29 Its not that bad.

I'll have to second Mike's thoughts on this.

The instructor I assist stresses buoyancy control and trim and for the "final exam" in the water must do things such as mask clears, buddy breathing, etc. while neutral.

The students come out of the class much better than what the other shop in town produces.

It's all about the instructor IMO, some want the students to be good divers when they leave, others just want to get their money.

AD

Your downrigger idea would have it's advantages. Provided the student keeps his or her jaw clamped down on the mouthpiece, you could at least keep them off the reef by controlling how much hose they get. :D

The PADI Diving Society booklet has all of those coupons, and so far I've sent in 2 of them, yet they've only sent me the rebate check on one. Repeated telephone calls and emails to Customer Service have gone completely unanswered. With me, they've generated a heck of a lot more badwill than the $10 rebate check they owe me!

As an SSI diver with many dives over the 24 required for my AOW card, I will put in my two cents worth.

I have read some of PADI's policies. I do not agree with any agency that allows someone with 9-12 dives to call themselves advanced. Twenty four isn't perfect either, but it is a start.

However, I was in the US Navy. What kept me from diving for many years was that I thought that all divers had to go through a program like the one that the Navy puts theirs through, which is much superior (in my opinion) to ANY recreational agency. However, it makes "normal" people think that they have to be extreme, hard-core divers to think about calling themselves a diver.

I have seen good and bad instructors (and divers for that matter) from every agency. I will not disregard a diver's advice just because I don't agree with the standards of the organization that orginally certified them. What matters is what they do after they certify and the agency does not tell you the quality of the instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom