Padi Knowledge Review Pages?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although DevonDiver is correct on all points, the reason for the changes in the PADI policies on this are based on US laws concerning copyrights of printed materials.
It is and was illegal for a Professional to make copies of these pages under copyright law as part of the courses they teach. As they are teaching for profit and the copies could be considered a part of their commercial venture.
However the owner/user of the book does have the right to make copies for their own use (not for profit) under fair use provisions of copyright laws. This allows you to copy the knowledge reviews answer the questions and give the copies to your instructor if they request them.
Many students (myself included) become quite upset to have their books ruined by have pages removed. I have never allowed that instead of even copying I would just write out the numbered answers and hand that in. These books then can be added to your personal library complete and in good condition. The personal library is something that PADI has promoted for advanced divers as a means to review materials when needed. This and the legal issues are what prompted PADI to change their standards concerning ripping out and saving those pages.

Interesting.

I was certified in 2004, and my Instructor told us to bring photocopies of the completed knowledge reviews to turn in. I would have been surprised if she had wanted us to rip out the pages.

The more I read about other people's OW experiences, the more I appreciate my instructor. At the time, I thought she was great. Now I know she was actually outstanding, and I was very fortunate to have done my OW and later my AOW certs with her.

I have stopped collecting KRs altogether. The new Training Record log pages have a signature panel for instructors to attest to having gone over the Adventure Dive KRs with the student. And of course there's the student's signature at the bottom of the KRs so that even though those stay in the book, in the case of a question about whether a student had demonstrated understanding of the concepts, there is at least some evidence that the material was presented and reviewed.

I don't save KR's, I have the students complete them on separate paper, that way they can go back and review if they want. With the training records that are signed by the Instructor verifying the KR's were done no reason to save them. And in the case of possible legal problems down the road, sometimes less IS better.

The instructors and trg organizations, me and my son have had a pleasure to train with, never tore any pages out of my books. I agree that this is part of the books that I purchased and it is useful information that I prefer having readily available rather than go back and review the highlighted sections of said books to find.

On the contrary, what they did instead was to provide us with separate answer sheets or allow me to submit my answers electronically to my instructor. I even recalled on my AOW, one of my coursemate having to transcribe his answers from his book to the answer sheets because the instructor/school wanted him to retain that information whicle having it on file.

My son and I brought our books with us on the trips but did not take them on the boat; only completed copies, signed and dated. The instructors never questioned this or mentioned anything about it (2009 - 2010). They signed our log books and at the end I think we signed some kind of affadavit which I didn't even read we had such a great time. They did not collect our copies...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom