PADI Master Diver Rating

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I myself have just completed and submitted my application for PADI MSD. It is just a point along my continuing scuba education. It doesn't mean I've learned everything and I continue to take specialty courses to further my knowledge. To me continuing my scuba education is a way to keep local lake diving from getting boring and becoming just a way to get wet. This while making me a diver who is more knowledgeable than the average holiday diver and more prepared for diverse diving conditions. Because many of my dives are local instead of while traveling my investment may not be as great as a holiday diver but my commitment to the sport is even greater and instead of taking 5 or more years to reach this point I have been able to attain this milestone in just 2 years.

Because many of my dives are local instead of while traveling my investment may not be as great as a holiday diver but my commitment to the sport is even greater and instead of taking 5 or more years to reach this point I have been able to attain this milestone in just 2 years.

I'm in the same situation as you and agree with what you said. I take the classes in order to learn the skills and improve my diving, not to say I'm "this or that".

I think I still get hung up on the titles given for the different levels of education. I have my AOW, but I don't consider myself an "Advanced" diver in any environment, as I only have 32 dives of experience under my itegrated weight pockets (sorry, I don't use a weight belt).

By the end of the summer I should have my Master Diver completed, but wouldn't in my wildest dreams consider myself a "Master" in any environment. In my mind, that level comes around 1000 dives or more. The most important issue though, is I will be a more confident diver.

Again, to all, thanks for the input.

Positive Identification Card

The one non-PADI course I suggest every serious PADI diver take is the NAUI Master Diver course. It is a serious and deep look into what it takes to be a skilled diver (given a solid instructor). Unlike PADI's "oh you completed prior courses, here's another card" certification, the NAUI Master Diver cert is a lot of work, and something that one can take a certain level of pride in achieving.

I would hope that any diver would take pride in completing any continuing education program, from any agency. As has been said many times, there are no bad agencies, only bad instructors. Bashing any agency's programs serves no purpose.

Indian Valley Scuba:
I would hope that any diver would take pride in completing any continuing education program, from any agency.

I take pride in learning and increasing my skill. I take no pride in completing a "continuing education program." I certainly would take no pride in buying as vanity card. I worry about those who do.

Indian Valley Scuba:
As has been said many times, there are no bad agencies, only bad instructors.

It might have been said many times, but that's merely an opinion. Others have other opinions. I wonder why some are so quick to blame instructors for things that are the fault of an agency. Yes, there are bad instructors, but usually the instructor is not at fault. Often, when there's a problem with quality in a class, it's the fault of poor standards written by the agency.

Indian Valley Scuba:
Bashing any agency's programs serves no purpose

What's your definition of bashing? I've seen no bashing in this thread. I see someone who is promoting an excellent class over buying a vanity card.

As people have stated its not a course and so on and so forth, but my point is, if you want it get it. And I agree with some of the positiveness about it, but as always there are always people who claim its for 'card collecters' for 'vanity' etc, well so what, PADI doesn't think so, they sure earn enough money from it.

All the different agencies have their pros and cons and there will always be people who wish to moan and put people off. Ignore them. Diving is what you make it and what you want it to be. I've seen people who've recieved their Master Scuba Diver cert and they've been diving 4-5 years who have got loads of dives and took loads of different specialities and they were proud of acheving it.

Don't ignore the negative comments, but listen and make your own judgement. Those are the people who are probably go on a dive and believe themselves to be so much better than those with more cards.

Bobby

MSD is not simply a vanity card. Nor does it mean you know everything there is to know about anything. Certainly not diving.

It is however a culmination of your (the divers) efforts in continuing training and education beyond the initial OW, or even AOW. It signifies that you not only have a passion for the sport, but are also at least somewhat competent in what you've done thus far.

I have an MSD. The specialties i have are as follows: Ice Diver, Deep Diver, Oxygen first aid, Night diver, peak performance buoyancy, and medic first aid.

The first 5 counted towards the msd. I think. been a long time. Personally...i think MSD should be more structored. The "normal" specialtys like night, deep, and buoyancy should be more or less mandatory, with a couple electives after that. And more dives. 50 isn't enough. Probably 85% of my dives have been while taking a class. Mostly because I don't really have set buddies at this point.

Ease on up Walter. PADI MSD may reflect very high quality education and experience. Your potential conflict of interest regarding SEI is noted.

Good teaching and good diving, Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom