PADI pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

norppa

Reaction score
I`ve been quite happy with my PADI education, but there is one thing than annoys me: the certification fees. I just did my night diver speciality course and would like to have the official certification (the card). It would cost me an extra 40€. I do have the money but I still think that it´s quite much for a simple card...

And it is a card that is completely worthless. Save your money. The only card that matters is OW, and AOW may help you on vacations to avoid checkout dives with some operators... it depends on where you're from... an OW diver from the PNW would generally be considered to be "more capable" than an AOW from Idaho, but whether or not you need a checkout dive will in large part be determined by how you talk and carry yourself.
I know of dive ops in Cozumel who will take you into Devil's Throat on your first dive with them if they feel good about you, or who will limit you to Paradise Reef if they don't, regardless of whether or not you complete a checkout dive with them.

Don't worry about card collecting. Get the training and experience that you want, but unless you're planning to continue into being a DM or instructor, the only thing you need is AOW, and I would recommend rescue. Screw the specialties. The only specialties that I would consider worthwhile are wreck and cavern.

the specialties are decoration basically. If you want cards that open doors, Rescue, DM, Wreck, Cavern, Cave, Nitrox...that kind of thing. Specialties that really are specialties.

I really am not interested in collecting a bunch of cards :wink: But I have decided to become a divemaster. I just have to wait 2 years. so until then, I´ll just get as much training as possible without losing all my money.

The money isn't just for the card, it's for your PADI Certification. PADI makes most of it's money of Positive ID Cards (PICs). You need to send a PIC in for the specialty you have completed in order for PADI to acknowledge that you have indeed completed it. So your instructor is actually giving you a choice whether you want to get certified or not.

why don't people just include it in the cost?

The shop I used i the UK did - and it really hacks me off when people try and sell courses by saying they are cheaper than the rest and then you find all the "hidden" extras like:

books
videos
equipment rental
pool fees
dive park fees
pic fees etc

Sorry guys/gals that's just awful marketing and it's not just restricted to diving - try and do anything in Japan that involves a fee of some sort!

Jonathan

I agree with all the others. You may want to call PADI about this. It doesn't sound like fair practice at all.

Were you told about it upfront? How much did you pay for the course?

Two points ;

firstly I think it's good to do the training but as previously stated you don't need to get a cert card - this is only so PADI recognises that you have done the course.

An alternative to cards - get your log book stamped and signed - this should be FOC. If you have a PADI log book ( these are quite nice) there even is a place to record spec. training and somewhere for the instructor to sign.

I use to collect cards and I really wonder why I bothered - but I am glad I did the training nonetheless

Second point - pic cards are purchased from PADI and then "sold" to the customer. Some opperators just pass on the cost whilst some make a margin on them. Ask, and enquire why they charge so much ? This is way too public a place to disclose PADI prices but at 40euro the shop is making a profit.

Instructors - esp new ones - like to submit PICs to PADI. The more pics the greater your ratting becomes (OK not quite that simple but you need the PICS)

****, I feel like I've given a secret away !

norppa once bubbled...
I really am not interested in collecting a bunch of cards :wink: But I have decided to become a divemaster. I just have to wait 2 years. so until then, I´ll just get as much training as possible without losing all my money.

You don't need a night diver card to become a PADI Divemaster, nor wait two years - unless you are only 16. Also I would recommend that you have at least 50 more dives than the PADI minimum requirment.

Even if you want to teach the specialty as an instructor you only need to prove experience - you don't need the card. Just shows how important your log book is.

Oh, by the way a PIC card in Canada is only $18.00 cdn, most shops incld it with the course fees.

To be a divemaster:

PADI Advanced Open Water Diver or qualifying certification from another training organization
PADI Rescue Diver certification or qualifying certification from another training organization.
Medical clearance signed by a physician
20 logged dives
18 years old

RichLockyer once bubbled...
<snip>an OW diver from the PNW would generally be considered to be "more capable" than an AOW from Idaho <snip>

Come on Rich, just cause the ocean isn't next door doesn't mean you Warrshingtan divers are more *capable*. In Idaho the water is colder, darker and at alltitude. That makes for more severe dive planning and execution. :rolleyes:

Farmers of Idaho unite!! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom