PADI pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pez de Diablo once bubbled...

To be a divemaster:

PADI Advanced Open Water Diver or qualifying certification from another training organization
PADI Rescue Diver certification or qualifying certification from another training organization.
Medical clearance signed by a physician
20 logged dives
18 years old

I believe those are the requirements to starting the divemaster course, not to "be" a divemaster.

You paid for the course...and then *extra* for the card?! That seems absolutely ridiculous...

I just got done with my rescue diver class. The fee for the class was $145. It included a "PADI Safe Divers" sticker, a Rescue Diver patch, a book, and a video (loaned to me) from my LDS. I just got done with the checkout dives last night and today I will stop in and get my picture taken with the shops Polaroid so that I have a picture for my PIC. I will then fill out my PIC card and mail it to PADI. All for $145...no extra fees. Of course, I do have to provide the stamp.

It's been that way for ALL of my classes. OW, AOW, Ice, Equipment, Rescue.......

You paid for the course...and then *extra* for the card?! That seems absolutely ridiculous...

I just got done with my rescue diver class. The fee for the class was $145. It included a "PADI Safe Divers" sticker, a Rescue Diver patch, a book, and a video (loaned to me) from my LDS. I just got done with the checkout dives last night and today I will stop in and get my picture taken with the shops Polaroid so that I have a picture for my PIC. All for $145...no extra fees.

It's been that way for ALL of my classes. OW, AOW, Ice, Equipment, Rescue.......

Allen42 once bubbled...

I believe those are the requirements to starting the divemaster course, not to "be" a divemaster.

Thats right and to complete your DM you don't need any specialty courses. In fact after becoming an instructor to teach a specialty, you do not need the specialty card. All you need is a min of 20 dives within that discipline to show you have the experience.

It can only help your diving if you have the specialty, but it's not required.

I didn't see how much paid for the course instruction, so I can't comment on whether its ridiculous to pay for the c-card on top of it.

While the LDS I work for bundles everything in, I prefer to list the separate costs when teaching independently. I prefer not to get into the course materials sales end of things. I point my students to my LDS, but if they want and can but it cheaper from someone else, more power to them. I try to avoid having to track 'product' sales for sales tax tracking reasons. Also, I often get asked, how much if I already have gear, how much if I do the training in their pool, how much if I already have the book, etc...

Since its all listed, they can see for themselves AND it shows how much I charge for my instructional time (vs. other participants in the value chain).

That being said, I don't markup other's fees and yes, 40 euros seems quite high.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom