PADI vs NAUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

veggiedog:
Knowledgeable people tend to be more knowledgeable than they think they are compared to people that lack knowledge (i.e. people that lack knowledge tend to be less knowledgeable than they think they are).

If you know you don't know anything, that's something you *do* know. Someone newly certified as, for example, a rescue diver, with only 25 dives logged over the last six years since they first got their OW, is probably more likely to think "I've been diving for years!" and overestimate their skills relative to someone who's only been diving for six months before taking the rescue course, who also has 25 logged dives and is collecting c-cards like McDonalds Monopoly pieces, but realizes "I've only been diving a few months, even if I am certified, I'm sure I really don't know squat!"...

asaara

I think you hit on a very valid point. Over confidence based on having a title like "Advanced diver" there is nothing advanced about taking back to back courses and logging a few dives.

To my way of thinking the titled "Advanced" can only come through experience and the mistakes we make over time teach us the most. And God knows over the years I've logged my share of uh booboo's.

The most recent was forgetting I had my snorkle in my mouth and not my regulator when I dumped my bc and started my descent.

coughcoughhackhackwas

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom