PADI vs NAUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lucioles:
I am looking at taking a class I see that some shops are offering PADI certification and others are offering NAUI cerification. What is the difference?

My goal is to be able to go on vacation and dive without having to follow an instructor. Understand decrompression, safety and diving technics to have an enjoyable and safe dive. What should I get? OW PADI? NAUI?

Thanks!
Lots of good advice in these responses. I started diving with PADI and then worked my way through NAUI to Instructor. The shop I teach for certifies both PADI and NAUI. The differences I see are mainly with the curriculum (NAUI tends to get a bit more into the technical details) and with the ability of the instructor to adapt to your particular needs (NAUI allows a bit more latitude while still meeting all of the key standards). NAUI also requires a confined water rescue skill be taught (rescue immobile diver from bottom of pool), which isn't part of the PADI program.
The bottom line however is going be a combination of what you are looking for (schedule, apprehensions, prior experience, etc.) and how your instructor appeals to you in understanding your needs.
Both programs will get you a C-Card and both will teach you the essence of being a safe diver. In the end, only you can be responsible for your own safety - so get the best education you can from someone you feel you can trust.

God, why did someone dig up this fossel? It was only 2 years and two months since the last post.

So much arguing about which agency I think the only way to settle is with an all out fin brawl between nominated gladiatorial instructors from each agency. Put them all on a little dingy and last one standing wins the title of Best Agency Ever and gets the ensuing best agency ever c-card along with best agency ever patch.

captjohnr:
Anyone that would use my website as bad advice is a Jackass..., shows his incompetence. ... I think he is just a "deadhead" fan that dives,... I do not know this person...
Are you sure you don't know him? (JUST KIDDING, BOB!! :D)

captjohnr:
...anyone that would take his advice is a Jackass
Friend, you just cussed out a bunch of fine people!

Whats wrong with being a deadhead diver? I love the dead!

As for the time requirements no one can say 2 days is too short or any of that crap. It all depends on the student. I took 3 days to do my OW(I realise that most people are going to harp on my experience here and all that) but I thought it was all remedial and common sense and very easy. I am a very safe diver and have not had any issues, my point is the time required is different for all people. In my case I had 3 resort courses and 10 dives under my belt before I started the OW, as a headstart over some people, but the padi program was all basic science, that was logical and easy for me. I take this very seriously, I challenge anyone to say I do not exhibit the required skills and knowledge to be OW certified because I did it in 3 days.

Gordo

Trinigordo,

No offense intended but:

I have had a 3 day OW course. I had good instructors too and after the three days I thought I was a diver.

I wasn't.

3 day-courses don't produce a diver (at least not by my standards and, as I suspect, not by the standards of a large majority of the members of this board) - they produce somebody who (at the very best) is sufficiently skilled to get into the water on his own and LEARN to dive.
If you believe that in 3 days you have been taught all you need to know to be a good diver - think again. You have not nearly dived enough to know what you don't know (and neither have I).
If you think you are a "very safe diver" and when you say that you "have not had any issues" I sincerely hope that you will still be around to say that after you have had a serious encounter with Murphy.

"I take this very seriously, I challenge anyone to say I do not exhibit the required skills and knowledge to be OW certified because I did it in 3 days."

I never stated that I considered myself to be a great diver. I stated that I possess the knowledge and skills required to be OW certified. And I keep hearing you don't know what you don't know, and never once have I disagreed. I am a merely a rookie in this diving thing and I don't dispute that fact. But don't come with this hogwash that 3 days isn't long enough to do the OW cert because it is all dependant on the student.

Gordo

Gordo,

I did not say that you claimed to be a "great diver". I doubted that anyone is - after a 3 days OW course and a couple of dives - a "very safe diver" (which you chose yourself to describe as).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom