PADI vs NAUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I concur with many others who posted that the instructor is key to quality dive instruction. I'm a PADI OW diver and also have a YMCA SLAM (rescue) certification. Both seem to be good agencies, but it's the instructor who makes the course a great course or a mediocre one. Ask questions and talk with instructors until you feel comfortable with one that will teach the way you need to learn.

Good luck and have fun!

captjohnr:
Anyone that would use my website as bad advice is a Jackass, I do not know this person and he does not know me, but using my site as a bad example shows his incompetence. What courses does he teach? Is he an instructor? I think he is just a "deadhead" fan that dives, so anyone that would take his advice is a Jackass, likewise. Scubatampa.com
Ah ... Captain John, I just responded to your PM. No wonder I didn't know what thread you were referring to ... you just revived a conversation that's been dead for more than two years.

To answer your questions ... I am an instructor. I teach courses from OW through Divemaster.

And I firmly believe that 2-day courses are a bad idea regardless of who offers them ... and this isn't an agency-specific comment.

It's also not a slam on your business ... as you say, we don't know each other. It's an honest opinion based on my own experiences both as a diver and a scuba instructor.

There are people out there with the requisite skills and motivation to learn to dive this way ... but they are a small minority. They would have to start out being pretty comfortable in the water, and rather self-disciplined in order to learn and apply everything an open water should teach in such a short time frame.

Of course, you're free to disagree ... I would like to see a more rational discourse, however. It would also be interesting to see the skill level of your OW "graduates". Do they come out of the course with any reasonable level of bouyancy control? Do they have any real understanding of what they are doing, and why? Or are they those divers everyone likes to complain about because they're destroying the very reefs they go down to look at?

How much can you really teach someone by having them watch a CD, then spend a couple days doing pool and OW work? I'm skeptical that it's adequate ... based on my own experience teaching people how to dive.

Oh ... and yes ... I am most definitely a deadhead fan that dives ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
And I firmly believe that 2-day courses are a bad idea regardless of who offers them ... and this isn't an agency-specific comment.

I'm the product of a 2-weekend PADI OW course. Knowing what I know now, that was way too short. 2 days is rediculous.

As an Instructor I too believe that two days is not enough. I think extending the experience of several weeks allows the student to think about the process and I think they absorb more whether they are aware of it or not.

The agency is not as important as the Instructor is also true. If you are only looking to do casual recreational diving it makes littel difference whaich agency yo select. If you plan to go arther into the process PADI has more shops and resorts so your professional ratings will be marginally more acepted.

In reference to the early poster who knew someone who went through training with one agency, witnessed training with another and said the other was more thorough, I might have said the same thing. My OW experience was crammed into three days in Mexico; I thought I learned everything--what did I know? I just knew I felt I needed more.

Now that I am involved in instruction with a totally different operation in the states, I can say whole heartedly that my current operation is much, much more complete and helpful than where I learned. People certified through us are ready to dive, by golly.

So I could say that the second agency is much better than the first, except...

...they are both PADI.

The first organization took shortcuts that were inexcusable, but I didn't know any better at the time.

When you get certified, you should get a survey asking you if the operation fulfilled the real requirements of certification--make sure you fill it out honestly.

NWGratefulDiver:
... Or are they those divers everyone likes to complain about because they're destroying the very reefs they go down to look at?

How much can you really teach someone by having them watch a CD, then spend a couple days doing pool and OW work? I'm skeptical that it's adequate ... based on my own experience teaching people how to dive.
(Grateful Diver)

Amen. It is disheartening and frustrating to be in the water with the resulting diver of a two to three day class. And when these divers show up for a guided dive, it usually turns into an impromtu refresher course. OY!

I feel I must join the corus of replies urging instructor selection more than agency. Agencies provide the tools and structure of a course, however, it is the instructor who conveys and helps a person understand the theories.

Be safe, Good Luck, and Enjoy!!

boulderjohn:
When you get certified, you should get a survey asking you if the operation fulfilled the real requirements of certification--make sure you fill it out honestly.

PADI only does this randomly. And as you've mentioned, when one is freshly out of a class, it's hard to know what, if anything, you've missed.

I agree with those of you who state that it's instructor over agency. There are bad apples in each agency. For example, a guy I know just completed his OW, Advanced OW, and Nitrox certifications in ONE WEEKEND through PADI. On the other hand, when I took my NAUI advanced rescue class, there was a guy in there who had just completed his OW, Advanced OW two weeks before, Rescue one week before, and was currently enrolled in a Master Diver class at the same time. He owned NONE of his own equipment, not even a snorkle and mask. He seemed to take pride in the fact that he was "so advanced" when he had only been diving for a couple of weeks. He also seemed shocked that the rest of us went diving when it "wasn't required for classes". <shaking head>. I felt like such a failure that I was taking Advanced Rescue after 100 dives, when someone else was doing it after only 12, LOL!!!

So my point, (sorry for the rambling), is that you should ask around and see what people have to say about the shops that you are considering and go with the best shop, regardless of whatever agency they support.

Along time ago, agencies had limited resources and training aids. Nowaday, we have DVD enhanced learning. A trainee can watch the DVDs and read the manuals to grasp the concepts. Then particpate in a course where they get to handle equipment and learn technics. SSI seems to separate everything into additional classes and some of the others are following this lead. If you just want to get a C card. SSI would be my choice. NAUI has more detailed info in my opinion. I do not know enuf about PADI to make a call.

Personally, I would just pick one that offers a time schedule that works for you. If you plan on go for more advanced course, they all except the others lower level classwork.

Over & Over It's The Instructor! I Went Naui Because That What My Coach Offered Me! He Gave Me More Than Ow He Gave Me Confidence In Myself. 3000 Plus Dives He Has Had. Hardcore Cave My Countys Underwater Search&rescue Commander Never Lost A Diver In Over 30 Years Sweares He Will Never Dive Again If He Does If Your Serious About Diving Train With Experience Rembemember Exberience Is Not What Hapens To A Man But What A Man Does With What Happens To Him Good Diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom