Panic and Exhaustion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kim:
Here's an interesting fact though. Check out this page:
http://www.lifesaving.com/issues/articles/DrowningFacts.html

Death by drowning while swimming - 1 chance in 662.
Death by drowning while scuba diving - 1 chance in 1491

So then technically if you dive 1491 times, shouldn't you have drowned at least once? If that's the case, I am going to go ahead and get mine out of the way...no point in letting it catch you by surprise!!!:D

scubafire:
So then technically if you dive 1491 times, shouldn't you have drowned at least once? If that's the case, I am going to go ahead and get mine out of the way...no point in letting it catch you by surprise!!!:D
Well that would appear to be the average yes.

However..."get it out the way...." Hmmmmmm....do you mean you intend to drown yourself BEFORE you got in your quota of 1491 dives? :11:

Kim:
Even if you can't as long as you know how to orally inflate your BCD you'll probably float around OK until someone fishes you out of the water! :wink:
Whats a BCD?

Good point, if they can find you. I believe they are still looking for somebody right now.

RJTY:
Whats a BCD?
Buoyancy Control Device. The jacket or wing you wear that you can put air into!

The case that's come on the board today is very unusual and very sad.

dherbman:
Just curious, which cetifying agency did you get your OW from?
Thought the question was a little bit funny.
Certified through NAUI

Kim:
Buoyancy Control Device. The jacket or wing you wear that you can put air into!

The case that's come on the board today is very unusual and very sad.
The case is very sad. I keep hoping and praying for a good ending here, but Im afraid the longer it takes the worst it is.

Kim:
Well that would appear to be the average yes.

However..."get it out the way...." Hmmmmmm....do you mean you intend to drown yourself BEFORE you got in your quota of 1491 dives? :11:

Ha ha...yeah. That way you don't have to worry about when it happens.

<I was indeed kidding>

Don't worry Jon....so was I.....:eyebrow:

RJTY:
Thought the question was a little bit funny.

I'm a funny guy. :wink:

I agree that it would be ideal to tighten standards. Unfortunatly, it's not practical or beneficial to the industry as a whole. I wish that more emphasis would be placed on the fact that OW is more of a learners permit than a sign of having arrived as a diver. It's the very start of a very long road, yet many never follow up with their training.

People don't seem to know what they don't know and that is the root cause of many incidents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom