Pay extra for doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Were they independent doubles? Most doubles with an isolator manifold, have the same gas in each cylinder,as the isolator is frequently left open between the cylinders.

Im not 100% sure on how he was set up and dont know too much about the different ways of setting up doubles.

I think he had them independent of each other (if that's possible?) because I saw him analysing for Nitrox several times which was generally a 32 or 33% mix on the boat, but on one dive I saw him descending to 43m for a swim through so presumably he had switched onto air.

Last edited:
That doesn't make sense... It's not fair that you get 2- 3 dives out of a fill of a set of doubles, when someone with 2 singles will get 2 dives? You get the same amount or more dives off a fill. What's not fair?

You missed the double negative in his statement. "I don't feel it's fair to NOT pay double" means "I think it is fair to pay double." Poor grammar but accurate.

I think of liveaboards as being all inclusive. In all fairness, should the diver who eats and drinks more pay more too?

A lot of liveaboards charge Nitrox by the fill or the trip. If the diver pays by the trip he gets what he needs.

I pay double to fill my doubles, although I argue that they only take up one slot on the compressor, and air is free.

I also pull full single price to refill my pony, for the same reasons that I gave why I shouldn't pay double for my doubles.

My good friend.

Air may be free, but the land the shop is renting from isn't, nor is the insurance for the place, nor the help there running the stuff. Not to mention the taxes, add in the maintance and such, it adds up.

My good friend.

Air may be free, but the land the shop is renting from isn't, nor is the insurance for the place, nor the help there running the stuff. Not to mention the taxes, add in the maintance and such, it adds up.

I have no problem paying fair value for my fills. I just wish they would pick a consistent pricing policy and stick to it.

I have no problem paying fair value for my fills. I just wish they would pick a consistent pricing policy and stick to it.

Yah, I agree with you changing what they charge you varying from day to day is unfair. Should keep it constant.

I also pull full single price to refill my pony, for the same reasons that I gave why I shouldn't pay double for my doubles.

I think charging people to fill a pony just encourages people to not practice. A lot of places around Monterey do them gratis.

I have see some shops charge a little less than twice the fill price for a set of doubles. I think that is fair since it takes less labor to fill them...twice the air, but still only 1 connect and 1 disconnect as long as they are manifolded.

I wish all shops gave pony top offs for free, as long as you get other fills. I want to keep my pony full, but don't want to pay for a full fill if the pressure is at 2500 psi

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom