PDC Hotel recommendations for two young (and new) divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recommend you hit Xcaret and Tulum or Akumal for sure, I personally don't recommend Chichen Itza because its a long 3 hour bus ride from Cancun and takes ALL DAY LONG in high heat with little access to food.
I've never stopped at Xcaret as I've heard it much too developed. Tulum is quite manicured but a nice, small, coastal ruin to visit with some lovely views, including bikinis on the beach. :shocked2: We did Coba ruins in the morning, then Tulum on the way back in the afternoon.

I would not want to do a bus tour of Chichen Itza either. As I suggested on the other thread, rent a car (with usual cautions) no later than the evening before, drive over there early and enjoy the place before the hordes arrive by bus. When they start arriving, leave for Ek Balam nearby. You can drive from PDC to CI in less than 3 hours, either by way of Cancun and the boring toll road exiting at Piste, or the more interesting route thru Tulum, by Coba & Chemex, around Valladolid - don't go thru like we did; take the loop!

I wouldn't recommand driving a car back to your hotel/condo after partying. Since you want to mix beach/diving/nightlife, your best options are to either stay in Playa itself, within walking distance to beach and dive shop (can always take a cab to go home after a wild night if too far to walk). Or stay in a resort up or down the coast which has all the amenities you want (beach, good dive shop and night-club).

Two things to keep in mind : before Xmas it will still be low season. Playa does have tourists year-round, but if staying at a somewhat remote resort, you may end up with few people to your liking to hang out with and find the on-site night-club boring. You'll need a car to go anywhere, and since driving at night/drunk/on roads you are not familiar with is really not advisable, you might end up having to pay for a cab both ways to enjoy the nightlife in town.

If staying in Playa itself, enquire about parking spaces. Or better yet consider renting a car for only the days when you'll really need one (like to go to Chichen Itza). Mexico has a great bus system and taxis are inexpensive in Playa, so you can always get around if you're staying in town without having a car.

I believe someone recommended contacting Tank Ha Dive Center in Playa del Carmen to schedule your dives. Not only can they take you to dive sites around PDC but they also take divers on a fast boat to Cozumel dive sites. They've received permission to do this without having to engage a Coz dive shop to take you diving. Nice! This keeps you from having to take the ferry round-trip to Coz, pay for a taxi round-trip from the ferry dock to the Coz dive shop, etc.

The bus ride to Chichen Itza is long, but I would rather not risk driving in Mexico. Just my opinion. The Mayan site is unbelievable and really worth a day's excursion. Xcaret was just OK....not that much to do that was of interest to me. I felt I gave up a day of diving to wander around an eco-park and float on a river.

If you feel comfortable diving in a cenote, do it. It's an awesome experience and very different from the drift diving in Coz. The water is SO clear it seems like you're underwater without a mask! There's hardly and critters to see, but the stalagmites and stalagtites are pretty cool. You do have to have good bouyancy control, however, to feel comfortable in the cenotes. Also, cenotes are a great dive if the weather/currents don't cooperate on dive day.

Although I don't think the bull sharks run during the time you're in MX, you might want to consider visiting PDC when they are. We went on a bull shark dive in March and it was pretty thrilling. Honestly, I think I was less than 8 ft. from them and was concerned my fin might smack one on the nose. Quite an experience to look down while descending and seeing several sharks swimming below. NO, I didn't have to wash out my wetsuit or run out of air :blinking:! Whew!

Have a great trip...you'll enjoy PDC....so much to do! There were times when I wished I was 20-something instead of 50-something!

isslanddream

UPDATE!

I finally found the right hotel for us and booked, we found the dive shop and am about to book! Only took two weeks, but what's two weeks of research to have the perfect vacation? :wink:

Our first diving course was tonight, covered mostly equipment. In your experience, is it worth buying equipment online to get the best price, or buy in a shop and get the personalized service? They had diving computers that ranged from 300$ all the way to 1850$, but I can't help but think there are probably better deals online.

UPDATE!

I finally found the right hotel for us and booked, we found the dive shop and am about to book! Only took two weeks, but what's two weeks of research to have the perfect vacation? :wink:

Our first diving course was tonight, covered mostly equipment. In your experience, is it worth buying equipment online to get the best price, or buy in a shop and get the personalized service? They had diving computers that ranged from 300$ all the way to 1850$, but I can't help but think there are probably better deals online.
I certainly prefer buying from a local shop and would strongly recommend doing so to a beginner in need of help with the gear now and servicing later. Prices are often very negotiable tho and if you don't do your homework, you can get gouged. Find what you want at the LDS (local dive shop), find the best online deals and print those out, then ask the shop if they can match the price. Mine almost always does, or at least close. Just tell them: "I really would prefer to buy from you, work with you, and support my LDS - but not pay excessively more."

As far as what to buy, there are countless threads on that in Basic Scuba forum and the gear forums. I would suggest a Nitrox capable computer as you will want that in time, and don't fall for the more conservative gimmick. The most liberal computers are well within safe range, while if you get one that penalizes you excessively - some divers won't want to buddy with you, or worse - you might try cheating. I'll also add that short suits are for jet skiers, but divers need full length suits. Shops like to sell shorties as they are easier to fit, but skin takes so long to grow back. Even a slight brush with a Cozumel hydroid can leave you using hydrocortizone cream for a month.

UPDATE!

Have a great time. I have only been to Cozumel and may have to try Playa sometime for the wife to enjoy a little more pampering and luxury. Be sure to make a trip report and let everyone know how it turned out.

The discussions regarding LDS Vs Online on Scubaboard are numerous, the end result is usually splint 50/50 just like it was when the discussion started. Shop where you like. It is totally your decision.

Actually the diving school is affiliated with the best known LDS in town (been in business for 50 years, which for Montreal, is long) and Course #0 tonight went over every single piece of equipment. The instructor was a young dynamic guy with 10 years of experience and just came off as an honest guy. He disclosed he used to work in he shop but doesn't anymore, he then went on, in details, on what to look for and what to avoid when buying a mask, tubas, palms, suit (3mm,7mm,14mm, dry suits), computer, vest, BCD, regulators, etc... it was great.

I was a little surprised at the price, but it's no more expensive than good alpine skiing equipment. I recon I'm in for 2000$ for everything but a tank. After most left I discussed it further with him like the proper geek I am. He proposed I buy a 14mm longsuit (like you Walter, he didn't fail to mention short wetsuits are NOT for divers. Oh, GREAT job in last Sunday's episode btw. Emmy deserving performance :D) and only take the 7mm portion to Mexico with me, suggested if I buy it all here to negotiate hard and I'll get a good price, and more inner tips like that. I love it when you can tell the instructor is just passionate about what he does, unlike some who do it because they have to (ie. the money is the primal motivating factor).

I'll be diving with Tank Ha, which can book dives directly in Cozumel (I believe they're the only ones who can), bringing us there on a speedboat. So I'll still get to see SOME of Coz!

I was really hoping to see bull sharks, but apparently it's not the season? :(

Grr! :mad: I can't believe I closed that tab right before posting. Let me try again...

I've never seen the show. I haven't had TV since 1988, but maybe I can check it sometime when I am traveling or visiting others.

14 mil?! :shocked2: Maybe he meant the 2 piece 7 mil? If you are going to dive a lot locally, might be a good idea, but while cold tolerances vary greatly - I don't think I have ever dived anything more than a 1 mil in Coz. I take my 3 mil to wear over it if needed, but never have. I suspect you'd be fine with a 1 or 3 mil and if not, you could always rent a shorty to wear over it. A heavier suit just means more lead on your belt, usually. Do take waterproof jackets with hoods for the boat rides!

I guess a tuba is a snorkel, but what is a palm?

Buy scuba gear, scuba diving and snorkeling equipment, and everything underwater from LeisurePro.com is a good site to see much of what is available and get competitive prices. I avoid buying there, but they are a resource. I like Scuba Equipment, Scuba Gear Scuba Diving Equipment Discount dive gear Snorkeling Equipment and Wetsuits Cheap online better and he will match any price, but his selection is not as great. Of course there is always google shopping.

Palms are fins... I literally translated the French word as I wrote it... lapsus. :rofl3:

He proposed a 14mm suit because there is great diving to be done in Quebec but the temperature are often around the 4C degrees, and some come in two pieces. He did mention he dives with a 7mm whenever he goes South.

I tolerate cold very well, so I guess 3mm would do for me.

I see. There are some hand fins or whatever they call them that some swimmers use, but divers don't use hands swimming. I think I have dived water in the 40sF/9C or so with my 7 mil over my 1 mil, plus a beanie and heavy gloves & boots - but the wrong socks! I got neoprene socks after than, altho I have not been in water below 62F/17C since. For your cold water a heavy hood would be best, but a light beanie can make a big difference in the tropics. Gloves are not allowed in much of the Caribbean including Coz.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom