Pee valve vs. Depends?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ditto the quick disconnect. I went the low tech route with a dual barbed end fitting that just plugs into the cut ends of the hose.

I have about a 5" section of hose that I install in the catheter, before I put it on. Then when I suit up, I just connect it to the pee valve hose with the barbed fitting.

I have found that it works well to put the catheter on at home before I leave in the morning rather than trying to do it in 5 ft waves in a marine head or somehwere semi-private at a spring.

I was going to say something about the quick disconnect, but I'm afraid of Jeff....

:wink:

Definitely the p-valve route (She-P rocks!). With diapers, the undergarments smell, the suit smells, and the trashcan smells. Holding it just isn't an option, for me anyway. I couldn't wait to punch the hole in my new Pinnacle DS!

There are three things I fought getting, but now that I have I would never go back.

HID can light

Spring straps

Pee valve

Also, I consider a pee valve a safety item. I got bent once ("undeserved" hit), and the major cause was said to be dehydration. People with pee valves are more apt to hydrate well. I would think that a diaper you would use if you had to, but a pee valve you use when you want to.

Good list Rick. I went with spring straps right after OW class so that wasn't an issue for me.

Regarding the HID light, I simply had to wait until I could afford it. I have been amazed however and how much my diving has benefited from the canister light. It was been a much better purchase than I realized when I first pulled the trigger. I'll never go back!

Pee valve ... yup, I also held out and have also become a huge believer.

One that I would add is dry gloves. I was a hold out and have become a believer. Now I don't use them all the time, but when the weather turns really cold and nasty or when I'm diving deep in the Great Lakes or in our regional quarries, they are a God-send.

P-valve is a must. Aside from the "more apt to hydrate well" angle, holding it in makes your body work harder to maintain core temperature.

Pee Valve!!!! But be warned.... getting them cathaters off can be a REAL PAINFULL BITCH!!!!
I use the wide bands
Jeff

I can't believe I'm going here.......However at the end of the dive day I snip the end off VERY carefully and wait till I get home in the shower to undo the damaged goods, which is generally only an hour or so after diving. Anything longer than that, or planned activities beyond the dive day where I can't make it home, I just use a wet washcloth to loosen the mega-bond, 3M super glue they seem to use. Tis about the time my Tourette's syndrome kicks in. Thus far this is my favorite read.
Kenny

Definitely the p-valve route (She-P rocks!). With diapers, the undergarments smell, the suit smells, and the trashcan smells. Holding it just isn't an option, for me anyway. I couldn't wait to punch the hole in my new Pinnacle DS!

Shaving?

I always read the dry suit threads due to my location, memories of getting chilled on dives, and looking at an average SAC rate of .795 in cold water compared to .519 in warm. Since I vacate my bladder continously while diving wet, the issue is a concern of mine for diving dry. I understand the advantages of diving dry and have looked seriously at dry suits, but man oh man, none of this thread is convincing me I ever want to dive dry. I'm still recovering from a catheter injury following a recent surgery and can't imagine adding that process to go do something I love.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom