Pee valve vs. Depends?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm still recovering from a catheter injury following a recent surgery and can't imagine adding that process to go do something I love.

Ouch. That sounds like an internal catheter.

These are external catheters, basically a modified condom (eg, hole in the end) with a hose attached which goes to the p-valve.

Pee Valve!!!! But be warned.... getting them cathaters off can be a REAL PAINFULL BITCH!!!!
I use the wide bands
Jeff
I also use Rochester wide bands but have no real pain or issues getting them off. It requires that things be trimmed a bit so no hairs get caught in the adhesive - the rest is just a matter of rolling back off in the manner opposite to how you rolled it on.

Larry

These are external catheters, basically a modified condom (eg, hole in the end) with a hose attached which goes to the p-valve.

Well hell.......sign me up! I can do a modified condom with a hole in the end. Needs a new name though. The word catheter equals agony in my dictionary (no pun intended).

^^ the box is labeled external male catheters.

I too use the Rochester variety. Box of 100 goes for about a buck a piece.

Maybe my bottom time is just not enough (40-45 mins in a drysuit), but man - I can't remember ever needing to take a wizz when diving - certainly never in a drysuit. Wizz before getting in, wizz after getting out. Works for me. I use a urinal for my pee valve :)

We have some awesome shore diving sites here in Puget Sound that have no bathroom facilities anywhere near them. We have a wonderful shore diving site that involves about a ten minute surface swim to start with, and then it's so shallow that dive times of 70 or 80 minutes aren't uncommon. I've spent very uncomfortable days out on boats without heads, boats that were filled with men I didn't really feel comfortable hanging my butt over the rail in front of.

I did my first dive with a She-P today. This is the single biggest step forward for my diving since I bought a canister light. Why every man on the planet who dives a dry suit doesn't have a p-valve is something I simply don't understand.

My usual dive, Marineland, involves a 23 minute surface swim followed by a 60-110 minute dive. I don't drink anything for a few hours before a dive. If I do, I try to pee before the dive. My fiancee tells me I'm just lucky to have a bottomless bladder, but I think most divers don't realize what dehydration actually is. If I couldn't go two hours without peeing or drinking I'd find another passion.

I also use Rochester wide bands but have no real pain or issues getting them off. It requires that things be trimmed a bit so no hairs get caught in the adhesive - the rest is just a matter of rolling back off in the manner opposite to how you rolled it on.

Larry

I just switched from the Rochester wide bands to the Mentor Clear Freedom Cath. The Mentor is not as difficult for me to peel off as the wide band. :palmtree: Bob
http://www.stlmedical.com/store/MN5000x-p-_MENT.html

Maybe my bottom time is just not enough (40-45 mins in a drysuit), but man - I can't remember ever needing to take a wizz when diving - certainly never in a drysuit. Wizz before getting in, wizz after getting out. Works for me. I use a urinal for my pee valve :)

I pee between 3-5 times per dive. I could hold it, but, setting aside the fact that the urge to urinate is a physiological instruction, why would I want to? A P-valve is a fairly inexpensive and reliable piece of hardware. I can't think of a good reason to not have one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom