Pet safety peeves--no debating

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. Big boats full of backpacker divers. (This may come under "attitude" mentioned above. The happy-go-lucky approach to diving on the part of so many of these people isn't appropriate, and attitudes--both good and bad--seem to have a way of becoming generalized in any particular group.)

2. Failure to do buddy checks. (This would go a long way to preventing a bunch of underwater issues, such as unconnected LP hose, missing weight belt, loose tank strap, air not turned on, etc. And yes, I've been guilty as charged, too.)

I'm a newbie but still have two so far..
1) the diver (boat buddy) who decides and insists that since his computer gives more bottom time than mine for the next dive I should just dive to his computer.. heck I may be new but I'm not that new..

2) those divers who are sure that anything I am pointing my camera at must be important/interesting enough for them to shoulder me out of the way to get a better look.. "they're Tunicates for crying out loud.. I LIKE tunicates!"

Number 2 holds true on land as well .. Carrying a "blad" means everything you are taking a picture of must be important.

1.) Poor pre dive safety drills/checks.
2.) Poor buddy skills.
and a very close third
3.) Divers who think they are pros after passing OW.
and a very close fourth
4.) Divers who think they are pros after surfing the net for awhile

I'm too much of a newbie to have criticisms of others but here is a lesson I learned the hard way on my first dive trip - it isn't enough to be aware of where everyone is under the water...

I was pathological about not making the newbie mistake of crashing into people under water, sadly I didn't put this peripheral awareness into practice while on the boat and while bending down to dutifully stash my gear out of the way of everyone else failed to notice the newly arrived diver who then swung around into the seat next to me, not seeing me of course since I was bent over. Needless to say I learned the hard way how much centrifugal force a tank being swung around on dry land can have.

Yikes.

Mel

#1) Divers who do not prepare to communicate effectively underwater, and then hit the boat / shore still negotiating/arguing/discussing what the heck the five minute hand jive was supposed to mean in the middle of the last dive... Wetnotes is your friend.

#2) Divers who think more gear (subduck, shaker, tank banger, brighter light, etc.) will solve thier buddy issues. If your buddy continues to wander away, you don't need stuff - you need to improve your buddy skills or get a new buddy. :rolleyes:

---
Ken

SAC: I'm new. I'm working on it.
Offering Advice: I know what I know, and I've experienced what I've experienced. That's all I can vouch for.
Buoyancy Control: I've never crashed a reef or stirred up the bottom, but I can see how people doing that would irritate a lot of people.
Tired of "Superdivers" bagging on the n00bs. We can't help it that we're new. Personally, I do as much as I possibly can to practice my skills, listen, learn as much as I can, and become a better diver. Gripe all you want, but if "Superdiver" isn't helping new divers, then you are just as much a part of the problem.

Quero:
1. Big boats full of backpacker divers. (This may come under "attitude" mentioned above. The happy-go-lucky approach to diving on the part of so many of these people isn't appropriate, and attitudes--both good and bad--seem to have a way of becoming generalized in any particular group.)

1. I don't think rather nasty and patronizing comments like the one above do much for our industry, luckily what you are getting at isn't generally true -it's bollocks. Could you tell me which dive op you work for Quero? Then I can tell all the backpackers we get here on Koh Tao to give you a wide berth when they come over to Phuket.

2. People (DMs usually) who stand 'in the ladder' rather than to the side of it to pull divers onto the boat. I once saw a great accident when the DM slipped forwards and landed on top of the alighting diver and knocked them both into the water. Reaching forwards into the ladder also doesn't do your back much good either.

Phil TK

fishb0y:
Thats a new one for me... what's that?
Know it all Dive shop employee's

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom