Phone help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the info so far. I have a Samsung S4 with at&t. Hospice is helping with my mom and said it could be a few weeks but they don't know for sure and I need to be reachable when I am not "under the sea". We are staying at the Park Royal and I have heard that their WiFi is not real good.

At minimum, take the phone, turn data roaming OFF and answer appropriate calls. At worst you pay a few bucks. I always leave my US phone on and just ignore calls from people not worth the per minute price.

Your At&T phone will work fine there. It costs something but not enough that I make special arrangements for that. Of course I don't talk for hours on my cell here or there.

Wifi + Skype on your computer = something like 5 cents a minute to call the US

there is also a Skype ap for you phone

Magic Jack has a free app for cell phones as well - just download it, set up your number and as long as you have a wi-fi connection, you have free cell service.

Magic Jack has a free app for cell phones as well - just download it, set up your number and as long as you have a wi-fi connection, you have free cell service.
Christi, I was looking at the magic jack app and it says ' For international callers, make FREE unlimited magicApp-to-magicApp calls worldwide.' Does this mean you also need a VPN connection to hide your foreign IP address to make this work, to non Magic jack phones? I have been using Google Voice, which is only free in USA / CA, and then a VPN to make it look like a USA / CA IP address to get it to work. If I could drop the VPN and just use Magic Jack APP it would simplify it.

Another option is to go online and buy a Mexico calling card. Learn the details on calling your hotel and plan on set times to call you to provide an update. This is for people at home who can call you.

Also you may find that people can call Mexico cheaply without an additional calling card. Just learn the specifics on how to make the call before you leave.

Christi, I was looking at the magic jack app and it says ' For international callers, make FREE unlimited magicApp-to-magicApp calls worldwide.' Does this mean you also need a VPN connection to hide your foreign IP address to make this work, to non Magic jack phones? I have been using Google Voice, which is only free in USA / CA, and then a VPN to make it look like a USA / CA IP address to get it to work. If I could drop the VPN and just use Magic Jack APP it would simplify it.

I don't have any special connection and use any wi-fi connection here without problems to call the states - and I literally use it every single day multiple times a day - to regular US cell phones and land lines - they don't have to be other Magic Jack lines.

Sometimes calls are dropped if there is a hiccup in the connection, but overall it's a really great service.

It's kind of a pian for incoming calls - often before I can unlock my phone and get to the app to answer the cal they have hung up so I have to call back. But it also has voice mail and I receive those via e-mail text :)

In 3 trips over the last two years, I've just used my cell phone. I DID change my Verizon Plan to an International Plan just before each trip; the Plan is a bit more expensive, but calling to or from Mexico is a lot cheaper. And I DID turn data roaming OFF as soon as I got on the Plane to Coz - the data rates are AWFUL. First two trips, in July and December 2012, the phone worked great. In December 2013, I had a lot of problems getting a signal on my cell phone, until I called Verizon (I used VOIP service on my laptop from the Hotel WiFi) and got it fixed. Don't remember what I had to do, but from then on it worked fine.

I just moved to Sprint from AT&T (which worked fine through Telcel though pricey). I'm wondering if anyone has tried their International service in MX? Decent connectivity? I know what the price is like from their website

If you have a phone that is wi-fi capable you can make any call at the same rate as you would using your phone here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom