Phone help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just moved to Sprint from AT&T (which worked fine through Telcel though pricey). I'm wondering if anyone has tried their International service in MX? Decent connectivity? I know what the price is like from their website

I have Sprint. Works great, but as you note the rates are terrible both on voice and data. Make sure you have international roaming on with Sprint. I have always had Intl roaming, but last trip I tried to use data to check the ferry schedule. Sprint popped a browser window saying data was locked. I had to call to get data unlocked again. Other than that, works great with great coverage.

Magic Jack is definitely great for outgoing calls to the US. WiFi is all over the place, so there's almost always a way to make free calls to the US.

I have a Sprint iPhone 5s. For me, the roaming charges are just too huge, and anyone that would be calling my US number is with me on the island anyway, so I have a Telcel SIM that gives me a local number that all my friends have. I still use Magic Jack to make (quite rare) calls to the US, because even if I'm using cellular data it's still cheaper and if I'm on WiFi it's free. You have to get the SIM slot on any Sprint phone unlocked for international use, but they will do that.

If I really, really needed to be reachable on a US number I'd either just go ahead and roam on my US number and pay the charges but would try to place outgoing calls when I had WiFi and could use Magic Jack or Google Voice.

jujulin, with an ATT phone you can definitely get it unlocked by one of many companies that do this for a fee if ATT won't do it. That would let you use a TelCel SIM for relatively inexpensive calls and data, but people calling you would need to use your Mexico number. If you need to use your regular US number, you're stuck with roaming, but get Droidwall and turn off cellular data for anything that you don't really need. It'll let those apps still work when you have WiFi.

As a test I put the Magic Jack App on my tablet and so far here in the states it works very good. Very clear and seems to use less bandwith than google voice. Since mutiple people say it works from Mexico I am going to try it this weekend from Roatan and if it works I will post the info. It would be nice to find a free service that works from thru-out the carib.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom