Photography - Going on a Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maj2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am booked for the Scuba Scene Liveaboard in October. Or whatever boat they are using then…

I know there is some “weirdness” in Egypt with photography and photography gear, although I understand it is getting better…. All of what I read is about land-based photography though.

Are there issues with any types of underwater photography gear when in Egypt? I have a Canon point-and-shoot in a Canon WP-DC46 housing as well as a Kraken smartphone housing to pair with a smartphone camera. Either is paired with a Sola 2500 light (redundant setups since so had a flood that killed a camera on a previous trip). Not top of the line setups by any means, but I am happy with my results for personal use.

I don’t want any surprises when there…

If you go through Cairo airport on arrival they may freak out if you have big lenses, especially telephoto/zoom lenses. Don't tell them that you have telephoto/zoom lenses. All they should know is that everything is for underwater use.

If you go through Cairo airport on arrival they may freak out if you have big lenses, especially telephoto/zoom lenses. Don't tell them that you have telephoto/zoom lenses. All they should know is that everything is for underwater use.
Thanks. I was hoping that was all there was.

No interchangeable lenses will be going. Just native telephoto abilities of the cameras themselves.

Only extra lens may be a wide angle dome for the Kraken housing. Might leave that at home though.

Cairo seems to be the main problem. I'm transiting through in August on my way to Hurghada. First time and not looking forward to that part of the journey. I've had hassle previously in Marsa Alam airport. A rather irate security guard wanted me to take the battery out of my non-electronic compass. In the end, my wife laid in to him and he backed down. Poor guy!

Biggest issue seems to be with batteries and in particular lithium batteries. Your Sola light may be an issue as the battery is not easily removed. I have a Sola light and currently weighing up my options.

I am going through Cairo enroute to Hurghada as well.
The Kraken housing uses an 18650 battery, so may be an issue as well.

I am going through Cairo enroute to Hurghada as well.
The Kraken housing uses an 18650 battery, so may be an issue as well.

My guess is that you'll be fine with a 18650 battery as it's removable and can be isolated. When do you fly?

The wide dome will be fine - that's not the sort of thing that freaks them out once you explain that it is for underwater use - if it was an 18 inch long telephoto lens you would need to do a lot of talking.

The Sola lights might be a bit iffy.

My guess is that you'll be fine with a 18650 battery as it's removable and can be isolated. When do you fly?
Not till October. Departing Toronto Oct 15 with the Liveaboard leaving Hurghada on the 16th.

I usually travel to Egypt twice a year to dive, both for Marsa Shagra/Nakari or liveaboards, usually through Hurghada, but sometimes with a transfer through Cairo.
I usually bring an underwater housing with an Olmypus tg06 or a Canon G7X with either my video light (with around 5000 lumen and 0.7kg) or with my strobe and two smaller lights. And about 9-10 batteries, 18650s, 26650 and the special ones (usually 3) for the machines.
When I got a random check for drugs and/or bombs, the security usually don’t even ask me about them and if they does they accept the answer “batteries for photomachine” or even “diving stuff”, I never got any more answer about them.
Non-removable batteries although could get a few extra question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom