Photography - Going on a Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try this for setting off alarms and a "lot" of body searches (some quite "inquisitive!"). Happy amateurs the lot of you!
1685657874076.jpeg

That's hilarious!

So are hand-held flashlights (like the ones for night diving) OK?

I guess so, but I would check the rules on where they want they batteries to be. In/out device, hand luggage/checked baggage. The biggest headache seems to be that the guys on the ground don't know their own rules and make it up as they go along. Welcome to Egypt.

I guess so, but I would check the rules on where they want they batteries to be. In/out device, hand luggage/checked baggage. The biggest headache seems to be that the guys on the ground don't know their own rules and make it up as they go along. Welcome to Egypt.
The inconsistency in Egypt is something that you get used to - and sometimes you can use it to your advantage...

Lights with inbuilt batteries attract a lot more attention for obvious reasons, if you are flying directly into Sharm or Hurghada then they will probably understand that it is a dive light as they get thousands of divers flying in every day, but Cairo doesn't see anywhere near as many divers so they aren't as familiar with the gear.

Don't blame the Egyptians though for being very suspicious of electronics etc - Egypt shares borders with three countries - Libya, Sudan, and Israel - and effectively there is a war going on in each of those countries at the moment, and Egypt also has problems with Islamic State terrorists hidden away in the Sinai desert that make infrequent attacks on checkpoints, police stations etc.

I understand. It's an unstable part of the world. Not too far off topic, but I'm half Greek and could easily pass as an Arab in terms of appearance. You might think this would be an advantage, but the reverse is true. One time in Sharm, I was out with a bunch of mates from the UK and got declined entry to multiple bars/restaurants because they thought I was Egyptian. Racism!

One time in Sharm, I was out with a bunch of mates from the UK and got declined entry to multiple bars/restaurants because they thought I was Egyptian.
Forgive my lack of understanding the geopolitical situation, but isn't Sharm in Egypt?

I understand. It's an unstable part of the world. Not too far off topic, but I'm half Greek and could easily pass as an Arab in terms of appearance. You might think this would be an advantage, but the reverse is true. One time in Sharm, I was out with a bunch of mates from the UK and got declined entry to multiple bars/restaurants because they thought I was Egyptian. Racism!
I told you not to wear that tea towel on your head!

You might think this would be an advantage

Not at all and I am an Arab. Dye your hair blond and wear blue colored contacts and you should be OK.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom