Pink Duct Tape

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use reflective tape, really easy to see and works better than colours imho (though bright colours are good).

4437526309_687872cc49.jpg

4540141683_c539e635d7.jpg

I was given the tape from someone else but just get 'marine grade reflective tape' and you'll be right (think one of the brands is 'Solaris').

I use reflective tape, really easy to see and works better than colours imho (though bright colours are good).

I was given the tape from someone else but just get 'marine grade reflective tape' and you'll be right (think one of the brands is 'Solaris').

I can see you from here. Where are your boots?

Boots? Sorry not sure what you mean :)

That picture of the night dive is very impressive. I can see how that would work with a light shining on it. But I am thinking more of being in poor viz 8-10' [common around here] where it might help if you can see your buddies' fins for a few more feet than otherwise. If it was just one other buddy, we just use a short jon-line? Is that the name for a short length of line between us? It works great in that I only have 15' of it out. So by knowing how much I have played out, I know what direction he's/she's in and how far away he is. We don't have to keep resurfacing to find each other and can poke along looking at stuff on the bottom [that's all you can do in viz that poor] and not have to keep one eye glued on the other the whole time. And I haven't got to dive glued to his hip or avoid getting kicked by his fins in the face because I'm too close.

But if I am diving with a group I can't use the short line. That's where the color of the fins might make a slight difference of a few feet farther recognition.

I bought some of the white and pink duct tape at Walgreens the other day and put some strips on the bottoms of my fins. It's had a couple of days to cure now. I'll be diving 3 days in a row this upcoming weekend in areas with ledgy/rocky entries. I'll see how the tape stands up to it and if my buddy thinks he can see me any better.

I'lll give a dive report next week. I am going to buy some of that reflective tape for night diving.

That picture of the night dive is very impressive. I can see how that would work with a light shining on it. But I am thinking more of being in poor viz 8-10' [common around here] where it might help if you can see your buddies' fins for a few more feet than otherwise. If it was just one other buddy, we just use a short jon-line? Is that the name for a short length of line between us? It works great in that I only have 15' of it out. So by knowing how much I have played out, I know what direction he's/she's in and how far away he is. We don't have to keep resurfacing to find each other and can poke along looking at stuff on the bottom [that's all you can do in viz that poor] and not have to keep one eye glued on the other the whole time. And I haven't got to dive glued to his hip or avoid getting kicked by his fins in the face because I'm too close.

But if I am diving with a group I can't use the short line. That's where the color of the fins might make a slight difference of a few feet farther recognition.

I bought some of the white and pink duct tape at Walgreens the other day and put some strips on the bottoms of my fins. It's had a couple of days to cure now. I'll be diving 3 days in a row this upcoming weekend in areas with ledgy/rocky entries. I'll see how the tape stands up to it and if my buddy thinks he can see me any better.

I'lll give a dive report next week. I am going to buy some of that reflective tape for night diving.

Sure colour would help too. I guess when I am diving in low viz (it can get down to about 3' here sometimes) we always have lights hence the reflective tape being useful. I have not used a jon line at all (the type of diving I do there would be entanglement risks with this), just lights which I find adequate. I try to avoid diving with more than one or two buddies in low viz (ideally one or none actually :)), and especially not a group at all. Perhaps you could just stick to one or two buddies and not dive all as a group? There's often a few buddy pairs of us diving together and we generally start off together but if we get separated we agree to just stick with our buddies and not surface to find other buddy pairs. But I guess how appropriate this is depends on what kind of diving you are doing.

I hope your tape works well :)

... did you mean SOLAS ?

I have a couple of sites ...
IDENTI-TAPE - 3M US Coast Guard 3M SOLAS Safety Reflective Tape ... fabric and sticky types

Reflective Tape IS ReflectivelyYOURS.com - <H1>SOLAS Tape - Reflective Tape, reflective decals pinstripes ... shorter lengths/different sizes (also some interesting other reflective stuff)

... did you mean SOLAS ?

Probably :wink:

Thanks for the links, got some buddies who want some also :)

Boots? Sorry not sure what you mean :)

Tank boots. Jon line is a 4ish to 6ish feet of inchish nylon webbing with a hooklah at one end and a loop at the other for hanging on the anchor line of a bucking boat so you don't twist your arm out of where it should be, maintain your depth, or sleep, or to buddy up with, hee hee hee. I prefer hands. A bloke pulled one out of his pocket one day. His name was Jon.

Tank boots. Jon line is a 4ish to 6ish feet of inchish nylon webbing with a hooklah at one end and a loop at the other for hanging on the anchor line of a bucking boat so you don't twist your arm out of where it should be, maintain your depth, or sleep, or to buddy up with, hee hee hee. I prefer hands. A bloke pulled one out of his pocket one day. His name was Jon.

Yea I've seen jon lines used before, I just haven't had the need to use one myself yet.

I don't have tank boots on my twins because I am too lazy to take them off after each dive when washing the tank so it doesn't rust.

Second reason is because line can catch on the boots I've found. Not a huge issue most of the time but annoying nonetheless.

And also it encourages me to lie them down or have them leaning on something rather than leave them standing up in the open for someone to knock over :wink:

Also bootless tanks look cooler :D

Back
Top Bottom