Pirate's Dive the Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The crickets are chirping here....wonder where the OP went?

Brules:
The crickets are chirping here....wonder where the OP went?

If you look at his profile, he's been a member since March of '01, and this is only his 4th post. We may not see him again for a year or 2. I guess everybody could go to his website and blast him out of the water for being a dumb@$$.... :D

Firefyter:
If you look at his profile, he's been a member since March of '01, and this is only his 4th post. We may not see him again for a year or 2. I guess everybody could go to his website and blast him out of the water for being a dumb@$$.... :D

Either that or he's too afraid to come back, speak up, and get his butt reamed out for what appears in his photos. I could get some great shots too if I poked around until my subject said "OK, TAKE MY PICTURE SO I CAN GO BACK INTO MY HOLE AND LIVE MY LIFE" Can you inagine the photos I could get if I grabbed a shark tail seconds before the photo was taken? !!! Problem is, the poor little Toadfish can't tear your arm off if you go poking him. :1poke:

C'mon guys, be civil, OK? I know that we're not supposed to touch things on the reef, and anyone who has ever gone diving with me knows that I am very conscious and observant of that concept, but you guys are acting like he was spearfishing eagle rays on Paradise Reef. I think that we should be content with pointing out errors in judgement without resorting to piling on.

Peace,

C'mon everyone.... We all know the rules but remember we all pay alot of money to enjoy these vacations in Cozumel. I really dont think a gentle pet of the turtle or poke of the tode fish is all that harmful. I dont mean to be the bad guy here but I think everyone should chill out and sit back with a cold sol..... JMO

Firerescueguy:
I dont mean to be the bad guy here but I think everyone should chill out and sit back with a cold sol..... JMO
I think you have a point. I mean, we all know that this kind of behavior is frowned on, and there are certainly enough rules on this subject down there already. That said, I think most of us have noticed divemasters that sometimes push these rules a little to get better viewing for their clients, and I have never had the guts to say anything to one of them about this...I think the point here is not to get holier than thou on this poor guy:spaninq: and flame him out of ever responding to anything on this board again, but to educate and perhaps raise conciousness a bit to minimise impact on the environment in the future? There is not a one of us who hasn't done something innappropriate down there, (or up here for that matter:eyebrow: ) and it does not do anyone any good to blast someone who probably really didn't mean any harm. Again, education and an attempt to help this guy, hmmmm?:wink: Woody

I would tend to agree with you two about piling on, or innocent little rub here and there, but the above pics show that the pic taker is holding some type of metal stick object and obviously has the full intent of messing with critters with it. How many other fishies, lobster or whatever were disturbed with that thing? Was it used to stick in the coral to hold position while a pic was taken? Looks to be more than an *innocent* little mistake.....I can easily forgive a new diver for being ignorant of the rules/making a mistake, but this person looks to be well prepared for what he was doing.

Brules:
I would tend to agree with you two about piling on, or innocent little rub here and there, but the above pics show that the pic taker is holding some type of metal stick object and obviously has the full intent of messing with critters with it.

You can read someone's "full intent" from a still picture? You should go into law enforcement. ;^)

I am casting no aspersions, but discussions can (and do) spiral up from stuff like this to a point where it becomes less of a criticism of the original behavior than a celebration of how good it feels to pummel someone from a justifiable point of view. Let's not do that, OK?

ggunn:
You can read someone's "full intent" from a still picture? You should go into law enforcement. ;^)

I am casting no aspersions, but discussions can (and do) spiral up from stuff like this to a point where it becomes less of a criticism of the original behavior than a celebration of how good it feels to pummel someone from a justifiable point of view. Let's not do that, OK?

I would also like to point out that Toadfish tends to bruise easily if poked or prodded too much and that " bruised area " must then be removed when filetting the fish before you toss it in the skillet.

Mawg:
I would also like to point out that Toadfish tends to bruise easily if poked or prodded too much and that " bruised area " must then be removed when filetting the fish before you toss it in the skillet.

That's a really good pointer, thanks. How do they taste? I've heard that they taste a bit like coelacanth if they are prepared correctly. ;^)

Back
Top Bottom