Pirate's Dive the Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ggunn:
Ah yes, the Caribbean Potato Fish. Very rare. ;^)

Some sort of sea cucumber, I'll wager.
hahahaha.... good luck finding an underwater potato fish on your next dive!

A sea cucumber is what it was. My mind was fried this morning after being in mircobio class at 7:30am. I already graduated college and I'm tired of taking these kind of classes... I'm ready for med school

However, while it may have been retarded to bring the cucumber up from the deep, it was pretty cool to actually see and hold a fresh one. I saw and held one in invert. zoology class, but it came from a bucket. Just not the same :)

I don't blame the divers so much, and this guy taking the pictures probably thought nothing of it because I am willing to bet it was the DM with the prodding stick...not a diver.
scubawife:
... What has left me a bit miffed is when a DM does this then reprimands one of their divers for similar behavior. The ocean is not a petting zoo or circus ring and some DM's need to understand that they are not the trainers or ring masters of the reef.
You are exactly right, and the DM's here DO know better. All guides (snorkel and diving) are required to take an intense one week course from the marine park to receive their credentials to work in the marine park. Reef preservation and protection are an integral part of that course and the rules are clearly and thoroughly covered.

scubawife:
In a destination like Cozumel where there is a marine park that says it has rules that are enforced, why can't they provide a card of guidelines for divers to the dive operators that could be given to each diver when they complete the waivers that every op requires?
There actually is. On my waiver, one of the statements that they must read and initial is that they have read and understand that they are diving in a protected marine park and understand the rules. They are posted in my office and those who are new to Cozumel, receive a list published by the marine park with all of the marine park guidelines when they sign ther waivers. The marine park rules are also listed on my website in case anyone is interested. http://www.bluextseadiving.com/marineparkrules.php

ScubaDivaDivemaster:
You are SO right, so NOT acceptable! Why are the DMs the ones doing this so often? They are supposed to protect the reefs that are THEIR lively-hood. What's going on there? Is it all for better tips? They won't be getting tips when the reefs and reef life are killed off...
I wouldn't say that all DM's do this...there are simply a few who still don't care and someone hit it on the head, they think it will improve their tips. I know one operation who fired a DM and reported him to the marine park after learning that he was doing these things. I would say that there are more "GOOD" conscientious DM's than not here. You should report any DM that does these things to the operator.

scubabum2:
I seriously question whether some Coz DMs do know better and if they do, do they really care. Do they find they can get bigger tips for doing bravado things underwater? Then the problem is not just the DM, but the divers on the boat.
They DO know better, but some don't care or as I said, they are more concerned with entertaining their divers for a better tip. If they did their job and remonded their divers that we are in a marine park, no touching, etc...then the divers on the boat would at least have a clue.

Brules:
HAHHAHAHAAHA You two almost made me spit on my screen!!!!!!!!

Oh and I am not *pummeling* this guy for fun....SOMEONE in that pic has *something* foreign to the water in hand and is using it to do things you shouldn't. So yeah, I can see intent in that pic. You don't *accidentaly* bring a long stick like object with you on your dives in coz. :) Heck, they wont even let you in the water with gloves on or a dive knife anymore.....so yeah, the rod/stick thing is seriously suspect.

I vacationed in Cozumel in February and I dove 14 dives with gloves on and with a dive knife.

Christi:
You are exactly right, and the DM's here DO know better. All guides (snorkel and diving) are required to take an intense one week course from the marine park to receive their credentials to work in the marine park. Reef preservation and protection are an integral part of that course and the rules are clearly and thoroughly covered.

I'ts good to know that the Mexican government is supportive enough of conservation in Coz to mandate such a course. I really didn't think that they cared much based upon some of their past actions.

I've dove with 6 shops in Coz over the years and I recall most of them had a DM that at some point touched or prodded the marine life. Its good to know that there are shops out there that follow the rules.

scubabum2:
I'ts good to know that the Mexican government is supportive enough of conservation in Coz to mandate such a course. I really didn't think that they cared much based upon some of their past actions.

The Mexican gov't does not speak with one voice. On the one hand they issue "zero tolerance" rules about protecting the reef and its inhabitants, but on the other they approve of the building of a cruise ship dock that plows under a big section of Paradise Reef. How many toadfish did that kill?

ggunn:
The Mexican gov't does not speak with one voice. On the one hand they issue "zero tolerance" rules about protecting the reef and its inhabitants, but on the other they approve of the building of a cruise ship dock that plows under a big section of Paradise Reef. How many toadfish did that kill?

Just like in the US, the governemtn has many different areas, interests, etc. Trust me, the marine park fought the cruise ship piers being built, they just didn't WIN. The Marine Park is a small fish in the pond in comparison to other government offices.

Firerescueguy:
I vacationed in Cozumel in February and I dove 14 dives with gloves on and with a dive knife.

I allow people to wear gloves if it is a thermal protection issue, but as a general rule, no they are not allowed.

Can you tell me why you think you need a dive knife in Cozumel waters?

And why do you need gloves in Cozumel? Not being funny, but even in winter it doesn't exactly get cold, does it? It pisses me off no end seeing people diving with gloves in warm waters – if ain't cold, you don't need them for exposure protection, so the only other reason for wearing them is so you don't get stung/cut/etc when you put your hands down on stuff. Whatever happened to buoyancy control? Don't bloody touch stuff! Would you like it if you were chilling in your garden with a cold beer when someone came along with a long stick and poked you to get you to move around the yard? No, so don't expect a sodding fish to act all happy when you do the same to it. You can get great pics of a toadfish without poking it out of its hole - if your DM does this, tell him not to! I make it a rule that if a DM starts *******ing with marine life, I either swim away and ignore him, then tell him why I was not impressed when we get back on the boat, or if he is really taking the piss, I will stop him doing what he is doing underwater and then again explain why back on the boat.

Mark

MarkUK:
And why do you need gloves in Cozumel? Not being funny, but even in winter it doesn't exactly get cold, does it? It pisses me off no end seeing people diving with gloves in warm waters – if ain't cold, you don't need them for exposure protection,

Cold is relative and some people DO get cold here. The water gets down to 76/78 in the winter which is cold to some people. You can't make a blanket statement that it's not cold. However, the first time they touch something, the gloves come off.

MarkUK:
And why do you need gloves in Cozumel? Not being funny, but even in winter it doesn't exactly get cold, does it? It pisses me off no end seeing people diving with gloves in warm waters – if ain't cold, you don't need them for exposure protection

They could be like my wife. She has a mild form of Lupus. It's nothing that will stop her from diving, but after a couple of dives, her hands are getting cold and it makes her joints swell up, turn blue, and hurt. Yes, even in warm water, because even 85° water is cooler than normal body temp, and after a while it will begin to wick the heat from you.....just something to think about...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom