Pirate's Dive the Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HAHHAHAHAAHA You two almost made me spit on my screen!!!!!!!!

Oh and I am not *pummeling* this guy for fun....SOMEONE in that pic has *something* foreign to the water in hand and is using it to do things you shouldn't. So yeah, I can see intent in that pic. You don't *accidentaly* bring a long stick like object with you on your dives in coz. :) Heck, they wont even let you in the water with gloves on or a dive knife anymore.....so yeah, the rod/stick thing is seriously suspect.

Its kind of tough call on what is acceptable vs. not acceptable. Here's an example.

When we were on a night dive in Coz, our DM grabbed a porcupinefish, put his dive light under it and turned it into a little puffed up yellow lantern for a few seconds. Funny looking, but you nearly know it stressed the little guy out. My first reaction to that was anger - it was just too over the top.

On the same dive, the DM had us all circle around and he brought over a starfish, gently laid it in the sand and turned it onto its back. We sat there circled around it for about 5 minutes while it uprighted itself. It was very interesting to watch, but if you can piss off a starfish, that's probably a good way to do it. But, I'll have to admit, my first reaction was more like show 'n tell fascination than anger.

scubabum2:
Its kind of tough call on what is acceptable vs. not acceptable. Here's an example.

When we were on a night dive in Coz, our DM grabbed a porcupinefish, put his dive light under it and turned it into a little puffed up yellow lantern for a few seconds. Funny looking, but you nearly know it stressed the little guy out. My first reaction to that was anger - it was just too over the top.

On the same dive, the DM had us all circle around and he brought over a starfish, gently laid it in the sand and turned it onto its back. We sat there circled around it for about 5 minutes while it uprighted itself. It was very interesting to watch, but if you can piss off a starfish, that's probably a good way to do it. But, I'll have to admit, my first reaction was more like show 'n tell fascination than anger.

That is not acceptable...especially from a DM who KNOWS better!

There is obviously something in those photos that does not belong, but don't jump to conclusions of slamming the guy who took the pictures.

Like many of you, I have seen DM's with sticks poke into holes to coax out critters, allow divers to put on gloves at will and touch anemones, sponges, grab the reef to check out nooks and crannies... It's only happened a few times on dives for me and each time I refused to participate and on the boat or SI casually started a conversation about the effects this can have on the reef and marine life without being judgemental. I like to think that people do this stuff because they see DM's and experienced divers do it and honestly don't realize the potential harm. What has left me a bit miffed is when a DM does this then reprimands one of their divers for similar behavior. The ocean is not a petting zoo or circus ring and some DM's need to understand that they are not the trainers or ring masters of the reef.

Too many divers get no environmental knowledge during their training and seem to have the attitude that they should be entertained rather then being glad to have the privalege to observe and be part of such a unique environment. I'm sure some DM's and operations feel that if they don't take a "customer is always right" attitude then the customer will go elsewhere.

In a destination like Cozumel where there is a marine park that says it has rules that are enforced, why can't they provide a card of guidelines for divers to the dive operators that could be given to each diver when they complete the waivers that every op requires? And maybe a PSA campaign incorporated into the tourism campaign in print and other media? Informational pieces for hotel rooms? Some divers and DM's will always feel that the rules don't apply to them, put I really feel that education is key. A little peer pressure can go a long way.

Christi:

I seriously question whether some Coz DMs do know better and if they do, do they really care. Do they find they can get bigger tips for doing bravado things underwater? Then the problem is not just the DM, but the divers on the boat.

I tip generously when a DM points out a camouflaged or odd looking creature to me that I couldn't have found on my own. I don't tip extra when someone drags me through swimthroughs to the point that I can't enjoy the dive or if they are too touchy feely with the fish life.

Verry good points scubabum!

Come to think of it, I was on a snorkel thing with the misses and the guide brought back up some things we would have never seen. I believe it was a hard sponge looking thing. My memory fails me and my invertabrate zoology class was years ago, but it looked like a brown potato with many grooves in it.
Also, the guide placed it back where he found it when we were done.

Brules, what part of OK are you in?

94GTStang:
Come to think of it, I was on a snorkel thing with the misses and the guide brought back up some things we would have never seen. I believe it was a hard sponge looking thing. My memory fails me and my invertabrate zoology class was years ago, but it looked like a brown potato with many grooves in it.
Also, the guide placed it back where he found it when we were done.

Brules, what part of OK are you in?

Ah yes, the Caribbean Potato Fish. Very rare. ;^)

Some sort of sea cucumber, I'll wager.

Yes, the DM's need to stop "posing" the critters and start policing the dives to protect Cozumel from further damage. I watched in horror as a videographer planted himself on a reef and kicked over a sea fan, broke it right off. I waved at him and at the DM, who looked at me and swam away. After surfacing I let them know what I thought...I don't dive with that operation anymore. Let's keep the reef's alive Cozumel! And everywhere...

Christi:

You are SO right, so NOT acceptable! Why are the DMs the ones doing this so often? They are supposed to protect the reefs that are THEIR lively-hood. What's going on there? Is it all for better tips? They won't be getting tips when the reefs and reef life are killed off...

Back
Top Bottom