Places in Cozumel for a newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My fiancé thinks we should get 3mm and then 7mm for the cold with a hoodie. He was told by someone that the two piece bib kind would be the best wet suit but then you have like 14 mm over your torso and that is just too much for me. I would feel like you could roll me down the beach. :D

I think one piece would definitely be better. Ok so we are shopping for knives is one or two better? I was thinking one strapped on my leg is good enough but we had some people saying you should have two so you could have one on your BC also. Thoughts on that? I was thinking that it was starting to get crowded on my BC with all this extra’s.

Thanks
Stacy

Dive 'N' Dolphin:
My fiancé thinks we should get 3mm and then 7mm for the cold with a hoodie. He was told by someone that the two piece bib kind would be the best wet suit but then you have like 14 mm over your torso and that is just too much for me. I would feel like you could roll me down the beach. :D

I think one piece would definitely be better. Ok so we are shopping for knives is one or two better? I was thinking one strapped on my leg is good enough but we had some people saying you should have two so you could have one on your BC also. Thoughts on that? I was thinking that it was starting to get crowded on my BC with all this extra’s.

Thanks
Stacy

You can't bring knives into the Marine Park, either. You wouldn't need one, anyway; I took one for years before they instituted the no-knives rule, and I never took it out of the scabbard.

BTW, if you are so cold natured that you really need gloves, then many ops will let you slide on that rule until you touch something you shouldn't.

A 3mm full will do you fine in Coz. Some people like the 2 piece 7mm, others don't. When it comes to knives, well there are enough threads on this board about should you or shouldn't you; where is the best place to put them; EMT scissors vs knives.

For what it's worth, one knife is plenty, placed where you can access it easliy. If you really need another cutting device, consider the EMT scissors.

BTW, knives aren't allowed in the Coz Marine Park either. But do what I do, take it and stick in your BC pocket.

I consider my knife an important piece of equipment on every dive. Also makes a nice tank banger.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

FIY, I was in Cozumel last September and the water temp was around 88deg. For me, a 0.5mil skin is more than enough. But everybody is different.
Have a great time.

Dave Zimmerly:
I highly recommend that you get a full wet suit. Yes, it is warm in Coz and yes you will be warm for the first couple of minutes on your first dive, but you will be cold after about a half hour and defintely cold on your second dive.

In Coz, I use a 3/2mm full with booties and 1mm beanie. My girlfriend wears a 3/2mm full with a 5mm hooded vest and polar booties. This is what keeps us comfortable. We have never been too hot that we couldn't dive, but I have seen people shivering after a first dive that were wearing nothing.

Also consider the protection from sun and marine life, especially sea lice, jellies and the occasional brush with fire coral.

And don't forget the safety devices I've mentioned.

Dave (aka "Squirt")
Ditto. Also, you may be better off with one of the smaller operations, rather than the big boat/big group dive ops. As Dave said, be sure you let them know your level of experience when you make your reservation; and make sure the dive master and captain on the boat are very aware that you are greenies. Cozumel diving is beautiful. Just relax, and go with the flow. Drift diving can be effortless, if you don't fight the current.

Just noticed the part about knives. As others have said, they are not allowed in the Cozumel Nat'l Park, which is where you'll do your diving. I carry a pair of EMT shears and a line cutter. You won't need a knife for anything, unless you want to do a 'Lloyd Bridges' on someone. Did I just date myself again?!?

BTW, my Dive Alert saved our butts last week in the 4-5 footers at Maracaibo. Get the safety stuff!

nyprrthd:
Just noticed the part about knives. As others have said, they are not allowed in the Cozumel Nat'l Park, which is where you'll do your diving. I carry a pair of EMT shears and a line cutter. You won't need a knife for anything, unless you want to do a 'Lloyd Bridges' on someone. Did I just date myself again?!?

BTW, my Dive Alert saved our butts last week in the 4-5 footers at Maracaibo. Get the safety stuff!

Safety stuff is good, of course, but I don't think they'll be doing Maracaibo just yet... ;^)

All good advice. I think one knife is good enough. When you’re shopping for gear and you are new, I think the sales guys see you coming a mile away and they try to load you up with the works. :eyebrow:
So no gloves and no knives in the park. Is that so people wont touch? I heard it’s always good to have gloves even if they are on the thin side to protect your hands. I think its a good idea to have your knife, you never know when someone might try to mug you :D

Thanks
Stacy

A suggestion, sign up for an Advanced Open Water class while you are in Cozumel. Chances are, you will be the only students in the class and you will have your own private dive master to take you diving.

jlyle:
A suggestion, sign up for an Advanced Open Water class while you are in Cozumel. Chances are, you will be the only students in the class and you will have your own private dive master to take you diving.

Don't you have to have a certain amount of dives under your belt before you can take an advanced open water class?

Stacy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom