Plague ship headed to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Poor passengers. I don't like cruise barges, but feel for the people stuck on that boat at sea for 6 out of 7 days. I think it's supposed to dock Sunday.

That didn't happen, I don't believe. They went to Belize and EVERYONE got off except the poor lab couple. Belize wouldn't let them go to the airport. The only stop they missed was Friday in Cozumel.

---------- Post added October 19th, 2014 at 09:32 AM ----------

Oh and reports are after the shallow water sailors flew out and took her blood off the boat Saturday, the boat docked this morning and she drove home.

The Magic also stopped in Roatan if the itinerary I see for future sailings is the same.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Since this thread moved so far from the original topic, and has morphed into ebola transmission, conspiracy theories, US politics etc, I did exactly as many of you thought was coming: it is in a new thread in The Pub where it joins its cousin thread about Zombies and such. You may find the new thread here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/pub/494056-ebola-transmission-media-etc.html Marg, SB Senior Moderator

Thank God, now this thread will die like the rest here, and the Cozumel forum will go back to sleep. I hate it when people start participating.

Thank God, now this thread will die like the rest here, and the Cozumel forum will go back to sleep. I hate it when people start participating.
Now now, Mike. You know these threads get intimidating to newcomers who might be scared off from asking their important questions like "who should I dive with in Cozumel?".

A good on-topic question comes to mind, though. If I do contract ebola, who should I dive with in Cozumel? I know there are dive shops brave enough to handle my peed-in wetsuit. Are there any shops willing to take on ebola divers? If not, what about active HIV? Hep C? The common cold? Where does one draw the line on infectious diseases and diving, especially on an island like Cozumel where one can always find the rogue shop willing to take newbies through Devil's Throat and molest nurse sharks on video for the right price?

Seems like news is mixed, it's being reported that they didn't dock in Belize either.

Eric Lupher, a reporter at KMGH-TV, Denver, is currently aboard a Carnival cruise ship that was forced to turn around after the captain announced a passenger may have been exposed to a Texas Ebola patient’s bodily fluids. The ship attempted to dock in Belize, but was prohibited from doing so. Mexico didn’t allow the ship to dock, either. Lupher has been tweeting updates as the ship has been heading back to Galveston, Texas.

I read post from passengers talking about they were going to be late to Cozumel because they were late leaving Belize. There was no mention of not docking. I think it is being confused with the lab girl not be allowed leave the boat and fly out.

---------- Post added October 19th, 2014 at 06:08 PM ----------

All things being equal, my favorite op was not that upset that the four divers off the Magic didn't drag the ebola on the boat that day.

"Passengers on this Carnival Magic cruise, which called in Roatan and Belize before being denied entry in Cozumel, are receiving a $200 per person credit to their shipboard account and a 50 percent discount on a future cruise to make up for the missed visit to Cozumel."

This sounds like the passengers (except for the two in "quarantine") were able to go ashore. They just skipped Cozumel.

Source: Carnival Magic Returns to Galveston, Quarantined Patient Debarks - Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

More posts moved to the other thread now located in the Pub. Simply put, this forum does not exist for personal chat; posts in the Cozumel forum need to be about Cozumel. Failure to comply with this requirement could result in more aggressive moderation measures. Marg, SB Senior Moderator

I recall someone stating that four divers were on the Magic. I have three questions.

1) How and when did the dive shop learn that the Magic would not dock in Cozumel?

2) Did the "loss" of four divers impact the other divers on the boat? Did the dive boat still go out?

As for the Belize stop, according to an unverified comment on Cruise Critic, Belize is a tender stop so technically the ship does not dock. Maybe "anchor" is the right boat term.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom