Plague ship headed to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

plague 1.jpg

This isn't the first time Cozumel had a "close brush" with a plague ship. Attached are three articles from US newspapers in 1900.

plague 2a.jpg

plague 3a.jpg
EverythingCozumel.com well-researched books, articles and maps of Cozumel

I am guessing that was the time the US was trying to get Belize to allow them to take the lab girl to the airport and fly her home?

I don't know they were school staff. I heard it and thought when they went home, the kids weren't allowed in school because of the parents and not that the kid were on the cruise. Like hey, you might have caught ebloa from the lab girl that didn't have it, so maybe you gave it to your kids so just keep home.

Many school districts now follow a "balanced calendar" year, which has a week off in the fall (typically October) and a week off in February or thereabouts, as well as the typical time off. The summer vacation is shorter than the norm by a couple of weeks. Personally, I like it.

Many school districts now follow a "balanced calendar" year, which has a week off in the fall (typically October) and a week off in February or thereabouts, as well as the typical time off. The summer vacation is shorter than the norm by a couple of weeks. Personally, I like it.
Many decades ago, schools here would allow classes out here early some days so kids could help with harvest. I wondered how they decided on those as harvest was a very busy, every dry day affair for months. Schools were more flexible in their teachings then. Now more controlled and uniform, but not necessarily better. My nephew now commutes over 70 mile each way daily to farm since his family moved to get their kids in a better school.

It seems odd to take a week of of school in October after only being in for less than two months. I've heard of the February break before, which also seems odd for the same reason.

The title of this thread jokingly called it a Plague ship, which it wasn't. Plague is still around the US for sure, found among wild rodents. I think it's easier to treat these days than the currently feared Ebola.

Ok.... Not sure how that applies. It would be nice for taking the nephews and nieces diving...

View attachment 196211

This isn't the first time Cozumel had a "close brush" with a plague ship. Attached are three articles from US newspapers in 1900.

View attachment 196212

View attachment 196213
EverythingCozumel.com well-researched books, articles and maps of Cozumel

Nice. EG makes it even MORE topical while still saying something general about disease and fear. I just love when he posts. If you changed it to "Swine Flu" it could be articles from a couple years ago about Mexico.

Many decades ago, schools here would allow classes out here early some days so kids could help with harvest. I wondered how they decided on those as harvest was a very busy, every dry day affair for months. Schools were more flexible in their teachings then. Now more controlled and uniform, but not necessarily better. My nephew now commutes over 70 mile each way daily to farm since his family moved to get their kids in a better school.

It seems odd to take a week of of school in October after only being in for less than two months. I've heard of the February break before, which also seems odd for the same reason.

You are off in the weeds. (Which might have been pulled if the kids were off school and still had some work ethic.... *cane shake*)

The title of this thread jokingly called it a Plague ship, which it wasn't. Plague is still around the US for sure, found among wild rodents. I think it's easier to treat these days than the currently feared Ebola.

Joking, maybe, but doesn't "Plague Ship" really capture it? Like the 1700 pirate history of Coz perhaps, with the modern equivalent of firing the cannons and telling the infected ship you can't land here!

"Ebola Ship" is so pedestrian. Oh, by the by, want to hear my Ebola joke? Never mind, you probably won't get it.....

Oh, I'd love to see canons fired at a cruise ship...!!

Oh, I'd love to see canons fired at a cruise ship...!!

Now THAT'S an Attraction I'd pay to participate in. They could make it a "Pirates of the Mexican Caribbean" kind of thing, with old fashioned Brass Cannons and big iron cannon balls, and charge tourists for the right to aim and fire the cannons at Cruise Ships coming into port! To hell with paying $139 to Swim with Dolphins when I can ramrod a cannon ball down the bore and let loose a salvo on the damn Cruisers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom