Please critique my guage/computer plan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As everything is bigger underwater, you may wish to consider a mini gauge console or even a mini pressure gauge only and bottom timer or wrist mount depth gauge. This is as streamlined as you can get low tech. Several brands make the mini gauge setups including a three gauge console, but I would consider leaving off the compass (I use SUUNTO micro compass that clips to my BC strap) Also the Timex Helix DM watch has all the functions of a bottom timer (depth, max depth, water temp and time of dive) and are fairly cheap (I just bought another one for my wife on Ebay for under $40)

I would recommend looking at mini gauges to streamline your gear. These are available in a number of brands and come in one gauge, two gauge and three gauge consoles. I would consider looking at going pressure gauge only and getting a wrist mounted depth gauge or even better a cheap bottom timer to streamline further. You can get a Timex Helix DM dive watch which has all the functions of a bottom timer (depth, max depth, water temp, dive time) for under $50 on Ebay. I don't know that the quick disconnect is any advantage, especially if you are running a mini console.

I have a small SUUNTO console which I usually stash away during a dive. This works well as far as redundancy is concerned because you always have a hard-cabled backup. Don't ever rely on computers alone. And of course before even getting in the water check the tables as to the limits for your dive, then once in water you just keep that in mind.
The SUUNTO console is nice as it has 2 guages on the front and a compass mount on the flip side.

I now dive an Oceanic VT Pro on a retractor.

I attach a SPG/depth gauge to the left side of my BP with 2 bolt snaps; this keeps it tucked into my side and quite streamlined.

I dive a Citizen Hyper Aqualand watch.

This gives me complete redundancy in the case of a computer failure.

What this allows me to do (an some take exception to my philosophy in this regard, but that's OK) is to continue my dive if the computer fails.

the K

That's what my wife and I did and it has served us just fine in our first year. I made 81 dives precompouter, she about 1/2 as many.

The trigger to get the computers for us were 2 fold. Some of my dive days were pushing the NDL without resorting to multilevel calculations. Secondly we will be taking our first dive vacation shortly where without a computer you can be severly restricted,

We ended up getting Aeris ATMOS-2 console pucks whick meant also getting a new console boot. We were able to transplant the compass and SPG from our Genesis inline. Now in a perfect world I would have started with an Aeris inline console and just swapped the depth gauge for the computer saving the small cost of a new boot.

I'll probably stick the old depth gauges into wrist boots as back-up devices. We also have Timex Helix DM watches that provide time and depth info as back-ups.

Air integrated is another matter as is wireless.

Frankly I don't get the wireless hting. I don't have hose phobia and there is only so much I want to trust to underwater electronics. I can also do better things with the $$. I know you didn't mention AI, I'm just spouting.

Air integrated? Same thing about trusting underwater electronics. As for gas monitoring during the dive I'd like to think that the computer between my ears can manage that task. Short of tapping your second HP port can you have an analog SPG with an AI comnputer?

You are thinking along reasonable lines. It's all about what works for you. Wrist mounted instruments are highly spoken of here on SB. Personally I prefer to have my arms clear and my instruments together in a glance. It's all about what you like based on your experienmce. My console is bolt snapped to a short bungee from a left shoulder D ring. The only time I unsnap it during the dive is for intensive navigation.

Pete

pcarlson1911:
I'm just getting my feet wet in the sport and am making the major purchases to own my own gear.

I am convinced that diving with a computer is a more efficient and safer way to enjoy the sport, but at the same time, I don't want to be computer dependant. And money is an issue.

So I plan to dive this season on a set of guages using the Tables. This saves money and makes sure that I understand what a computer should be telling me.

When I purchase guages, I plan on purchasing a 3 guage console. Air, depth with max indicator, and compass. This will be attached via a quick disconnector.

When I upgrade to a computer it will most likely be air integrated, and will also have a quick disconnect. I will keep my guages and have them as a back up if the computer goes down.

Let me know what you think!
pc

Back
Top Bottom