Please help my wife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My S/O has decided she would like to buy a new pair of fins before we go on our next adventure in December.
She has used this old plastic pair of snorkel fins since she started, but is always seeming to lag behind everyone else, due to the fins not working very well when used for diving.
we went and looked at a number of LDS's in our area, but it is really a difficult choice, as to which one is best for her.
The split fins, the sales rep told us, were like a lower speed on a bike, that is less thrust in each stroke, but easier to stroke.
VS the big solid fins, that are almost as big as her. She doesn't want a set so big and hard that she has trouble with effort or cramping, but then she doesn't want to be constantly kicking furiously, like pedaling a ten speed bike in 1st gear. I think she needs about 5th gear really, but we only are seeing first gear fins, and tenth gear fins. Can any one give us some assitance on this dilema, as our departure day is quickly approching.
Thanks all.

diverrick:
Can any one give us some assistance on this dilema, as our departure day is quickly approching.
Thanks all.

Rick,

Unless your wife is used to doing the cave (frog) kick all of the time, is a photographer, or you are diving a lot in high current, a good quality pair of splits (Apollo, etc.) would work very well for her.

Cheers!

Rob

diverrick:
My S/O has decided she would like to buy a new pair of fins before we go on our next adventure in December.
She has used this old plastic pair of snorkel fins since she started, but is always seeming to lag behind everyone else, due to the fins not working very well when used for diving.
we went and looked at a number of LDS's in our area, but it is really a difficult choice, as to which one is best for her.
The split fins, the sales rep told us, were like a lower speed on a bike, that is less thrust in each stroke, but easier to stroke.
VS the big solid fins, that are almost as big as her. She doesn't want a set so big and hard that she has trouble with effort or cramping, but then she doesn't want to be constantly kicking furiously, like pedaling a ten speed bike in 1st gear. I think she needs about 5th gear really, but we only are seeing first gear fins, and tenth gear fins. Can any one give us some assitance on this dilema, as our departure day is quickly approching.
Thanks all.

I use "velocity" fins. they are a happy medium. they have a piece of perforated rubber down the center, allowing them to work in much the same way as split fins. i have had trouble in the past with cramping, but never with these. they are wonderful and not too stiff. i'm sure your lds will allow you to take them into their pool for a test drive. i love mine so much, that i told my sister about them and now she has them too. i think they may just be the ticket for your wife.

Thanks for the replies so far. Due Thanksgiving, today is out for fin shopping, but we plan on going out on Friday to use some not so Local dive shops, who have pools in house, and try a few on to see how they all compare. The funny thing is, on this website, someone posted a list of a bunch of fins, and the amount of "thrust" each one produced. They all fell in a pretty tight range of 14 to 16 lbs of thrust. That would lead one to believe that there is not so much difference in fins, but I know there is.

My wife and I both use the Aeris Velocity (strap on) So far it has just been for snorkeling but they do seem to propel well, much better than my old plastic full foot fins. They were highly rated in a few of the dive mags and we plan to keep on using them as we go for OW certification this winter. The center vent and soft center make it kind of a hybrid. Sounds like 5th gear to me. I have about 80 dives on mine and they're going strong,
http://www.diveaeris.com/Product.cfm?PL=fin&SL=VLF

Pete

diverrick:
Thanks for the replies so far. Due Thanksgiving, today is out for fin shopping, but we plan on going out on Friday to use some not so Local dive shops, who have pools in house, and try a few on to see how they all compare. The funny thing is, on this website, someone posted a list of a bunch of fins, and the amount of "thrust" each one produced. They all fell in a pretty tight range of 14 to 16 lbs of thrust. That would lead one to believe that there is not so much difference in fins, but I know there is.

get the tusa split fins, my mother-in-law (52 years old) has said she really likes them over the solid fins, and that her knees and ankles do not get sore anymore.

I've got the Oceanic V6 full foot split fins and adore them. I have plenty of movement and plenty of control. I do not get stress on my ankles or knees. I have used them in many conditions and not found them lacking...even on the surface, in a current & mild chop with a negative student! i have not used them in extremely rough conditions because we don't get that here...

I'm not 100% crazy about the open heel version as I think there are lighter splits (which suit me a bit better) out there...but I hate using boots and don't even own any anymore! Warm water is wonderful :crafty:

Have a great time fin hunting...there is a pair out there for her - unfortunately it can be a bit of trial and error before you find them!

For recreational diving I use splits, twin jets, my wife uses and loves her Mares Volos. Go for lower resistance fins and she'll be happy.

We let customers test drive them at our shop in Oregon.

Back
Top Bottom