Please help to choose a photo/video starter kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

P.S. I was reading, what an engineering miracle is the RX100 and what magic it was to fit such a large sensor in such a small body.

UW_photos.jpg

That makes the housing look overpriced as it costs twice as much as the camera.

Most underwater photographers consider the camera as an accessory for the housing. My Nauticam housing costs about three times what my Canon 7D camera body costs.

Where did you get that graphic? I'd love to read the article that went with it.

Ha! I made it myself during a boring work conference this AM. The percentages were determined by the well established statistical method of me thinking up percentages.

:)

Ha! I made it myself during a boring work conference this AM. The percentages were determined by the well established statistical method of me thinking up percentages.

:)

Heh, I'd give lens quality a little bit of a bigger slice, but otherwise, I'd have to agree with your statistical analysis :D

Heh, I'd give lens quality a little bit of a bigger slice, but otherwise, I'd have to agree with your statistical analysis :D

You got it!

I'll put you down as a contributing author when we publish this... :)

UW_photos2.jpg

Shooting video and stills on the same dive is mentally difficult to impossible as the approach is different
I use a single sola as focus light and if I get some ambient light wide angle or some macro worth taking I give it a go
Using two strobes and two video lights with a triple clamp is possible but again mentally confusing
Diving for video and diving for photos do not marry up for me
This is my compact photo rig with this I can take video as described
Panasonic LX7 Photo Rig | Interceptor121 Underwater Video

Thanks, Interceptor121! The pics give a good idea and your entire blog is very informative! I bookmarked it.

Most underwater photographers consider the camera as an accessory for the housing.

Yeah, I start to realize that.:depressed: Nauticam looks a quite long lasting thing. Can you always buy an accessory for a dedicated housing? Thanks for the chart.

Thanks, Interceptor121! The pics give a good idea and your entire blog is very informative! I bookmarked it.

Yeah, I start to realize that.:depressed: Nauticam looks a quite long lasting thing. Can you always buy an accessory for a dedicated housing? Thanks for the chart.

The Nauticam is very well made, I love the fit and finish. Most of the metal housings are of similar quality. Ikelite (plastic) is about half the price, and not as well made IMHO, but that's the tradeoff (I had one for a while, that flooded). I only know DSLR housings, though... don't know much about point and shoots...

M

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom