Please share your opinions about ScubaPro and AquaLung product quality.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the SP equipment, and I am quite happy with it.

I have an Aqualung Legend and am happy with it. I plan on buying another one soon.

I prefer and dive the mk25/s600 over the Titan, fewer parts and better breathability. However, I notice that you are a jr member. How old are you? Are you still growing? How often will you dive each year? You mention that these are similarily priced, the Knighthawk is a more durable, however it is a back flotation jacket. Have you dove a back flotation? Few shops offer rental equipment with the back flotation, see if you can demo the gear (many lds will resist as they don't want a bunch of demo gear, but if you are sincere, not a tire kicker they should help). Often someone at the shop has the bc and you can try theirs. If you have stopped growing consider the Pro QD over the Malibu...better jacket. I like Scubapro's warranty, but then I have my gear serviced every year. Sometimes they will redesign or new materials are available and they are covered under their warranty program. Just my opinion.

The SP MK25/S600 is an excellent system; I have this set up as my primary and an MK17/S600 as my secondary on my doubles configuartion. Although I haven't had any issues with the MK25 first stage freezing up in local waters (even prior to having it de-tuned), the MK17 first stage is simply a better fit for local diving conditions.

I can't say that I have a lot new to add, just another vote for Scubapro quality. I have a MK25/S600 and a MK20/D400, my wife has a MK25/S600, and we both have Classic Plus BCs. The quality, performance, and service have been top notch. I had to make a warranty claim on my first BC, a Classic NT that developed a tiny leak on a seam. Scubapro sent me a new Classic Plus to replace it. I have never used the Aqualung gear, so I can't compare, but I find it hard to imagine owning anything other than Scubapro.

I have the Seaquest Balance BC, my primary reg is the AL Legend and I have a AL Titan on my pony. I love my euipment. It is dependable, works well and wears well. It was a good decision for me.

JR

I have the MK25/S600 reg. Simply fantastic regs. Plan to buy another for doubles by the end of the year. AL makes good regs too, from what I hear, tho I haven't used them. I like their auto-clsure feature on the 1st stage. Slick. But I prefer ScubaPro's warranty and policies.

Either will serve you admirably, and both can be serviced worldwide very easily. But I give the edge to ScubaPro due to warranty and politics.

As for BCs, I like the KnightHawk a lot. I very nearly bought one before I decided to go for the bp/w route at the last minute. Very seldom hear anything negative about them on these boards... which is saying a lot.

wetever:
How old are you? Are you still growing? How often will you dive each year? You mention that these are similarily priced, the Knighthawk is a more durable, however it is a back flotation jacket. Have you dove a back flotation? Few shops offer rental equipment with the back flotation, see if you can demo the gear (many lds will resist as they don't want a bunch of demo gear, but if you are sincere, not a tire kicker they should help). Often someone at the shop has the bc and you can try theirs. If you have stopped growing consider the Pro QD over the Malibu...better jacket. I like Scubapro's warranty, but then I have my gear serviced every year. Sometimes they will redesign or new materials are available and they are covered under their warranty program. Just my opinion.

Thanks for everybody's opinion.

I just turned 30 a few days ago. Yes I’ve stop growing for many years. I don’t seem to get fatter or thinner either. Both Malibu and Knight Hawk are back inflation BC. I never worn one but heard so many people talked good things about them. Actually I was interested in BP/W but after one stop at lds, I decided not to go with BP/W because I didn’t like the idea of having to wear the weight belt. I’m a recreational diver; probably going to dive three to four times a year. Is that often enough to own a BC and regulator? I’ll dive both tropical and mild water (Chicago during late Spring to beginning of Fall).

ppatrick:
<snip> I’m a recreational diver; probably going to dive three to four times a year. Is that often enough to own a BC and regulator? I’ll dive both tropical and mild water (Chicago during late Spring to beginning of Fall).
From a dollars perspective, you'll probabally take a couple of years (renting) to get close to what you'd spend for mid-to-upper quality gear. So purely money, you'd be better off renting.

OTOH, the quality of rental will not be the same as good gear you'd buy. And it is truly priceless, knowing the history of your gear, and having it already adjusted for you. Plus who knows, you might dive more!

All the best, James

ppatrick:
Thanks for everybody's opinion.

I just turned 30 a few days ago. Yes I’ve stop growing for many years. I don’t seem to get fatter or thinner either. Both Malibu and Knight Hawk are back inflation BC. I never worn one but heard so many people talked good things about them. Actually I was interested in BP/W but after one stop at lds, I decided not to go with BP/W because I didn’t like the idea of having to wear the weight belt. I’m a recreational diver; probably going to dive three to four times a year. Is that often enough to own a BC and regulator? I’ll dive both tropical and mild water (Chicago during late Spring to beginning of Fall).
Another advantage (non-monetary but potentially priceless) for owning your own gear is that you will be more familiar with where everything and how it works. The location and operation of dump valves, pockets, weight systems, power inflators, etc., etc., can vary quite a bit, even with the same brand. With your own gear, even if you only use it a few times a year, the location and operation of everything will become second nature and you won't fumble around for things. This will contribute a lot to being comfortable and relaxed on each dive and can literally be a life-saver if you get into anything like an emergency situation.

Back
Top Bottom