Political Correctness...a disservice to divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting posts all.

There are a couple of things that are mentioned that represent my thinking as well.

The idea that the moderate thinkers don't post as much as the those with the more extreme positions in general. If someone ever posts that no one else agrees with you...you can be sure that most everyone else agrees with you other than the extreme poster.:wink: The majority for the most part is silent.

Then there's the idea that people tend you interpret what you say in a way that if they thought about it they know it wasn't your intention. I find this interesting.

I think it helps to put yourself in the other persons position. For example, in reality most posters in this thread don't really think that if a brand new diver posts on this board asking to cave dive that I'm suggesting that we give him advice other than go take a class.

And yet, some will post more or less suggesting that maybe that's is what I'm suggesting. John's explanation is correct. Extreme positions come out more readily than the more likely interpretations that that's not what I'm saying.

I wish there were more discussions like this on Scubaboard where in effect people think about how to discuss things which is really what this thread has been about. Everyone gets more out of it if a discussion is one where everyone has an open mind and can come away thinking about something in a different light rather than two "sides" arguing their entrenched positions.

I've often wondered about the restricted forums...I know why they were formed and the abuses that lead to that but in general having discussions with people who only think like you do is rather limited.

I solo dive occasionally but I see no need in discussing solo diving in a forum limited to solo divers. I guess perhaps I just don't feel strongly enough about it in the first place. The DIR forum is another example. It has a right to be there, no problem. I think if I were DIR however I'd rather not have a forum limited to like minded people.

In the past solo diving and DIR were hot button topics and trolls were disruptive. Now, no one cares. It's only the exclusive nature of the behavior that causes any bomb throwers to come around.

I do agree with Richard that the equipment questions are useless in many cases and I rarely answer those unless it's a computer. I still agree in that case but for some reason I try to help there but it is rather comical in most cases..."I'm looking for a computer that will grow with me...what do you recommend".

Back
Top Bottom