Poll on when & where you purchased first reg

When & where did you buy first reg

• More than 10 yrs ago at the LDS where I trained.

Votes: 15 19.7%
  • More than 10 yrs ago at another LDS.

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • 5 to 10 yrs ago at the LDS where I trained

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • 5 to 10 yrs ago at another LDS.

Votes: 8 10.5%
  • 5 to 10 yrs ago at any other source

Votes: 11 14.5%
  • More than 10 yrs ago at any other source.

Votes: 14 18.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't buy it, but I received a set the other day as a gift from a very good friend. Apeks ATX50 1st stage and 2nd stage, and an Apeks Atx20 Octo, and a depth gauge (i forgot what brand though)

I cant include myself to the poll, is there a choice for 2 days ago? hehehe.

I think you'll find that most people buy their initial gear at the LDS that they originally trained with. I did, and the 4 or 5 people that I dive reguarly did as well. Second and beyond generally are bought from the dive shop that you either feel most comfortable with, or has the brand you want at the best price. Regs are tricky, people (or want) a certain one (unlike BCD's where any of 3 or 4 brands are almost identical).

I am in the process of helping a friend open a dive shop, and know someone who had one way back before he was in the Navy. 2 similarities between them...they know that they need a strong instruction program, and they know that they'll never make money off of instruction. You need the program to get people into your store, and once that happens, the rest is all about what you have, what you charge, and how your staff is.

Bought my reg...Mares Voltrex 10 yrs ago in a dive shop at Lucky Plaza, Singapore. Still in good condition.... :)

I bought my regulator at Tavernier Dive Center when John Riddick (sp?) owned the shop. I bought it in 1988 and it is still my primary regulator. SP MK200/G200. Took private lessons so, I did not get my cert through a LDS.

Except for anything I rec. as gifts, I buy everything at the LDS where I trained. Bought my regulator two months ago.

My choice isn't up there. Less than 5 years ago and got it off the internet.

Bought my first set as a used Special Service rental gear from Sangley Point Naval Air Station, Philippines in 1967. It was a Voit 50 Fathom double hose regulator with a Voit steel 72 J-valve tank mounted in a Voit Snugpack with a wrist mount depth guage. All for $10.00. Still use the set.

My first reg was a metal Aqualung Conshelf, bought at a pawn shop. With a Sherwood BC for $125! But then I spent more than that having it gone through and brought up to spec. I have other regs now, but it still breathes great!
Thomjinx

Bought my first regulator a year ago from the LDS where I trained. Bought my doubles regs off e-bay.

Back
Top Bottom