Poll: "TEXAS Dive Flag" License Plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There isn't a whole lot of space available to post a picture. If you look at the various other specialty plates, they keep it really simple, but eye catching. I think a dive flag that covers the space would accomplish what we want.

I think there would be challenges to seeing what we want people to see with the Texas flag like that.

I think our biggest challenge isn't going to be a design, but convincing TxDOT that there is a sufficient market for the plate. A petition drive would be one option, I would be willing to write the petition. The next challenge is getting the word out to the divers and dive shops.

I have heard that Texas has one of the highest per capita number of certified divers. Does any one know what the estimated number of certified divers is in Texas?

TwoBit

I'm in!

Just a quick update.

I have been in contact with the guys at TPWD this past week. I have received a much warmer response to the idea this time around. I contacted Dale Shively and discussed the idea via e-mail. In his replies to my messages, he C/C'd several other persons within TPWD and directed one of his colleagues to start researching the process of TPWD applying for the plate(s) with TXDOT.

He requested mock ups of the "ideas" that I have for the plates. I had innitially looked at creating a Dive Plate and a Sport Fishing plate. He suggested that a combo plate may be more economically feasable being that each design has a $15,000 deposit.

I have created both the Dive plate and a Combo plate. I'm still messing with the Sport Fishing plate. I'll try to post the on Monday. I tried on Friday, but kept getting red x's. If I cant get the pics posted here, I'll find a place to host them and post the link on a new thread. The dive plate is basically a red state of Texas with the white line crossing diagonally. The sport fishing plate has the same Texas dive flag with a Sport fishing boat and wake sillhouette coming forward out of the Dive flag toward the viewer. I have both designs set on the TXDOT templates that they provide. I'm looking to have the first rough concept designs over to Mr. Shively no later than Wednesday. It will be far easier for him to "sell" the idea if he has something in hand to show people.

stay tuned!

Hey Scott do you have a pic of the plate on your truck? Have you changed it since last summer if not that was a pretty simple design. Today I saw a Texas Tech plate and was wondering how they can have one and we do not have a Diver plate, I know I know money

North Carolina is trying to get a dive plate and they need to sell 350 before the state will make the first one.

http://www.ncdiveplate.com/

I understand the $15,000 deposit. It would be nice if the Texas would start a "fund" like NC.

TwoBitTxn:
There isn't a whole lot of space available to post a picture. If you look at the various other specialty plates, they keep it really simple, but eye catching. I think a dive flag that covers the space would accomplish what we want.

I think there would be challenges to seeing what we want people to see with the Texas flag like that.

I never intended for this design to be the entire plate....just on the side or at the bottom. It would be something similar to what hum's looks like. I'm anxious to see what his designs are.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom