POLL: What was your first dive computer and would you buy it again?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Orca EDGE, about 1984- I wish I still had it, but I donated it to a shop’s museum a number of years back. It had, considering the technical limitations, a great user interface- something most current dive computers fall far short on. Many forget how much hostility there was to the very idea of using a computer back then. I’d been using a Tekna electronic bottom timer for years, and I thought the computer was a great idea. Still do.

ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network - Karl Huggins' Journey to the Edge (the development of the world’s first commercially successful electronic dive computer)

Suunto Zoop was my first computer, a good comp for rec diving, If I had the chance over again though I would have spent a little extra and got the vyper as it has gauge mode. that way I would still be using it instead of having it sitting in the cupboard for a couple years now.

Suunto Vytec AI. Still use it, but I wouldn't buy it again, it was much too expensive for what it does, though the AI stuff in the electronic logbook is kind of useful. Did buy an Suunto Vyper Air, but at a very good price, for a backup to my elderly Vytec.

Started off with an Oceanic Pro Plus in 2001, a very good computer, liked the DSAT decompression algorithm, finally decided I wanted a wrist computer rather than a console. The Pro Plus still works perfectly and others in my family dive it occasionally.

Bought a Cochran EMC 14 in 2006, even more liberal than my Oceanic. Was not the easiest to use but perfectly reliable

Got a really good deal on a Nitek Duo in 2008. It was much easier to use than the Cochran but was much, much too conservative for me.

Went back to Oceanic and DSAT in 2010 with a VT3. I really like this computer and have 460 dives on it in 4 1/2 years. Just changed to battery #3. I dive this with a Geo2 and SPG as backup, have never needed them. I like the Geo2 also, runs exactly in sync with the VT3. I'm perfectly happy with what I dive now, not sure what I'll do next.

Oceanic Veo 100NX (about $160). As a first computer, yes I would buy it again. That said my current (third) computer is a Mares Icon HD Net Ready. My needs grew with additional diving experience and age.

Started with the Wheel and a Tusa digital bottom timer. Around 1990-ish - Cochran Commander (air) - was one of the first dive computers to never lock you out. Went into permanent paperweight mode due to a 8 year surface interval. Very good trade in to an EMC-20h by Cochran and I liked it, but I switched to a Petrel last year. Very pleased.

The Petrel is a touch robust for a diver not planning to advance their diving style, but has some things that all can utilize... And likely never outgrow.

I was given a Genesis React Pro I think? Was in a dive shops junk bin, definitely wouldn't recommend, GUI wasn't bad, computer worked very well, but wouldn't recommend a computer that doesn't do decompression. It does have gauge mode though which puts it above the Zoop and some other recreational computer. Any computer without Gauge mode is not worth even considering. I've put many hours on Zoops to have the same profile as students I was working with and it is an abysmal computer

Next was a Cressi Archimede II which is the same as the Nitek Duo, Apeks Quantum, Tusa IQ and a slew of others made by Seiko. Was a wonderful little computer and took me through full cave training. Still recommend people one of those used since you can grab them for $100 or so, gets mixed gas/deco and can be used in gauge mode. Only downfall is you have to hit the backlight to get it to be seen in the dark. Not a huge deal, but something to consider. There's a Nitek Duo on ebay with bungee mount for $100 right now, killer deal for anyone looking.

Using a Petrel now.

Recommendation would be as follows for new divers
Avoid consoles, avoid anything without Gauge mode, avoid anything without decompression/2 gas, avoid AI. Make sure it hits the first two minimu and there is no diving you could do that would render that computer a paperweight. If it does the first three, wrist mount, and gauge mode, with 2 gas decompression, it will do 98% of the dives being done throughout the world including most technical diving. 2 gas deco is most of what is being done, and in gauge mode you can use it as a sanity check for trimix/CCR diving.
If you are doing a lot of travel diving, then I would recommend a true watch style computer that hits the above criteria. Going to be a bit more expensive than some of the larger "puck styles" and potentially a bit harder to read if you need cheaters to read a normal watch, but when you're travelling it allows you to keep the easiest piece of gear to have stolen on your body through the whole trip. Oceanic Geo 2.0 would fit quite nicely into this category. The old Nitek Plus was great as well, but has been discontinued for a while now

Last edited:
First computer I dived was a Decobrain II.

First computer I owned was a Skinny Dipper Mk1.

I wouldn't buy either nowadays :D

Navy tables and a dive watch... Still don't have a computer... Use a Uwatec timer depth gauge and padi tables....

Jim....

1st-------and only(it's still a clickin' along just perfect)-----------a Oceanic Veo 180.......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom