Pony Bottle?

Do You use a pony

• Yes

Votes: 27 54.0%
  • No

Votes: 23 46.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, this is what I paid for MY AL19 rig:

$118 for the AL19 tank
$30 for a mini PONY SPG
$150 for my Mares MR-12 Axis regulator
$30 worth of SS hose clamps, SS bolt snaps, vinyl tubing and cordage to make the rigging

would it be cheeper to get a first stage, and an octo reg instead of a reg that is used for primary?

FlyNDive,
Not really....a first stage and a 2nd stage, be it a 'primary' 2nd stage or an 'octopus' 2nd stage is about the same price.

However, an octopus MAY be slightly tuned down to prevent free flowing.

Thanks for all the info, i'll let you know if i decide to get one.

Good luck with what you decide. I would recommend that you definitely look at the pro's and con's of a PONY and decide if having one IS right for YOU.

For me, short of diving twins, I wanted REDUNDANCY - just in case. No never knows what can happen and I prefer to be prepared for the worst case scenario. It only take that ONE time when you wish you had one, but don't.

I'd rather be 'safe than sorry'...

i like having a backup for everything, so a pony bottle just sounded right.

"Tanks" again
fly n dive

ScoobieDooo once bubbled...
Note: A PONY does NOT mean its EXTRA air, in that if you use 2500 psi of your 3000 psi air supply, you say "Oh I want to dive longer, so I'll use my PONY for stay down some extra time." A PONY is 'dedicated' air ONLY for an Emergency Situation - to surface with. It IS NOT used to EXTEND Bottom Time! Proper use of the SPG is imperative and using a PONY is not an acceptable excuse to run out of air!

What you are talking about is using a pony bottle as a “bailout bottle.” A pony tank complete with regulator is carried as a redundant SCUBA. It is only used in an emergency, such as a failure of the primary SCUBA, allowing the diver to safely ascend to the surface. This is only one of several options for SCUBA redundancy. Other options include H-valves and double tanks. It is generally accepted that a pony bottle is not a good option for overhead or decompression diving.

My advice to Fly-N-Dive or anyone else considering using a bailout bottle is to do as Andy suggested, do a search on “pony” and read the threads. A bailout bottle is only one of several options available for redundancy. Look at them all and make an informed choice. If you decide to go with a bailout bottle, carefully calculate the air capacity required for your situation, before you buy the tank. Many are of the opinion, myself included, that small bailout bottles, less than 30 cubic feet, are in fact dangerous as they provide a false sense of security without providing sufficient air to deal with a problem and then surface safely.

With that said here is my 2-cents.

Above fifty feet of water, a pony creates more issues than it solves. In an OOA situation, your buddy is the best option followed by a controlled swimming ascent.

Below fifty feet, a controlled swimming ascent is not a very good option so a pony makes more sense, but your buddy is still the best option in an OOA situation.

I have a 30 cubic foot pony based on the estimated amount of gas it would take to sort out a problem at 120 fsw, tell your buddy that your going to surface, and then surface safely with a safety stop. And most importantly, after you get the pony test it! Go to the quarry and practice switching to the pony, ascending at 30 feet a minute, and making a safety stop. I think that you’ll be surprised ad how quickly the gas gets used.

The best option for mounting a bailout bottle is stage slung as this gives you the most flexibility.

Select a regulator that you would feel comfortable using as your primary; you’re counting on it to work dependably in a stressful situation. I use a Apex DS4-TX40. I also recommend using DIN valves on the tank and regulator rather than yoke. Doing so eliminates the possibility of confusing the tank valve knob with a yoke mounting knob in a stressful OOA situation.

Mike

One chain of thought regarding pony regulators is to get the same reg you have as your primary. While this is obviously not the cheapest solution, since both regs are the same, everything is interchangeable.

... "spair air" ... everything i saw on it was negitive. why is this?
Don't confuse the "Spare Air" with a pony/bailout bottle. I'm aware that there's an erroneous definition on the web of spare airs being called bailouts, but that's not the case.

The spare air isn't well regarded because of:
small size/capacity
high cost compared to a "real" bailout
geeky little regulator thingie, not a "real" reg.
false sense of confidence/security; people "think" they can use it to get to their buddy, setting themselves up for an even more complicated scenario if their buddy is asleep at the flippers & is cruising off out of range.
Proper useage would dictate it be used in 3 steps:
#1: head for the surface
#2 smack buddy up along side the head with it after he surfaces
#3 toss overboard for "float testing" or evidence disposal.:D

Personally I prefer the Ebay mount for the pony bottle as there is zero chance of underwater entangement with it.

All other pony mounts are snag hazards and prone to getting tangled in line, kelp or whatever... though with a front mount you at least have some chance of dis-entangling yourself... with a back mount you are hosed. The space between the pony and the main tank is a line trapper!

As for the redundancy issue... if redundancy is truly needed then it is best not to create other problems in providing it. However you don't need redunancy in everything. Folks who load their rigs down with everything including a double kitchen sink (for redundancy) are not wise.

That is my opinion on the matter... and of course it should be yours too... but I would never tell you that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom