Pony Bottle?

Do You use a pony

• Yes

Votes: 27 54.0%
  • No

Votes: 23 46.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks for all the input. here is why i would like to get one, i am not on of the people that pack 8 pairs of everything, carry an extra set of scuba gear. i just like to have a backup of the stuff that keeps you alive, in this case air. I don't dive deeper than 90' so assending from 120' isn't a problem for me. i was thinking of getting like a 19cft to have JUST IN CASE.

When buying gear think ahead to what you may be doing in the future. A 19cu ft pony is to small for a stage and to large for a possible argon bottle. Buy a 30 or 40cu ft. It doesn't cost much more and if nothing else it will have better re-sale if you decide you don't need or don't like it.

matt

Fly N Dive once bubbled...
i was thinking of getting like a 19cft to have JUST IN CASE.
Just in case.... what?

See... the deal is... pony tanks are not the answer to the undefined problem you are imagining.

They bring with them risks that you would otherwise not have.

I'd have to agree with Uncle Pug, being I have been heading in the direction of DIR more and more these days...

As I said earlier, both systems have their pro's and con's. I'd prefer to have a totally reliable diving partner instead of a PONY, and that’s the key, if you can find a buddy who you trust your life to, are 'in tune' with and both keep eye contact and hand/light signals with.

Better not to have it over complicate your rig and invest in gear that won't offer a good return for its investment.

Search the threads and read up and educate yourself. If I had it to do over again, I'd buy a AL40 which can be used for deco work if and when you advance to that level. A 19 cu in is kinda cutting it close.

While I don't agree with Uncle Pug on the value of a pony used as a bailout bottle, I totally agree with him here:

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

Just in case.... what?

See... the deal is... pony tanks are not the answer to the undefined problem you are imagining.

They bring with them risks that you would otherwise not have.

If you haven’t thought out what you’re going to use the pony for how can you configure it and more importantly train with it? Fly-n-dive, this is a rhetorical question and not addressed to you but rather the situation in general.

The key to using a bailout bottle safely is thinking through process so if you need it you know the capabilities and limitations. Otherwise it can lead to a false sense of security that is dangerous.

Mike

Guess I'll jump into this since I use a pony bottle from time to time. I carry a 19cuft pony bottle on deep dives and when using my FFM. I do not use my pony bottle to extend my bottom time. It's only purpose is to allow me or a buddy, to make a safe ascent should something unexpected happen. I always manage my air underwater and plan on being at the surface with a minimum of 500 psi. For my own peace of mind, I don't want to rely on a buddy to share air should I have a problem. If carrying a pony bottle violates DIR thinking, thats their problem not mine. I can understand that in certain dive enviornments a pony bottle may not be adviseable, for me and the diving I do, I like having it available.

MikeS once bubbled...
If you haven’t thought out what you’re going to use the pony for how can you configure it and more importantly train with it?
This is a common failing with the pony bottle.

Folks don't train with them.

In fact, if they keep coming in for pony fills they might be castigated for using their *emergency air source* to *extend their dive.*

If you don't need a fill for your pony after each dive then you aren't practicing with it... when and if you ever do need it you will be hosed.

This is different with a stage or deco bottle. We plan on this gas as part of our supply. We use it every dive we take it. We practice using it under task loading as well.

Most folks can't handle the extra task loading.

ColdH20diving once bubbled...
I carry a 19cuft pony bottle on deep dives and when using my FFM.
If you don't pull your FFM every so often, get on the bailout and put on your spare mask your *peace of mind* is really just false confidence.

BTW... this isn't a thread about DIR.

UP brings up some valid points.

I just sold my AL19 just now to another diver thru eBay and I'd only purchase another bottle in the AL40 size, but not for PONY work...but eventual deco work. I think I want to 'uncomplicate' my diving, streamline expenses or extra 'stuff.'

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

If you don't pull your FFM every so often, get on the bailout and put on your spare mask your *peace of mind* is really just false confidence.

I agree with you. I routinely practice switching from my FFM to my back up regulator and mask. About every third dive using my FFM I practice this drill, granted I'm not doing it at 100ft but I have it down. Good point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom