Pool session skills refresh...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SmileMon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi,

I was thinking the other day to have a nice pool session, just refresh my skills, go over the rusty ones, train on new ones and overall enjoy a hot pool session while the ocean is cold (relatively) outside.
:dork2:

so... here's a list I could dig up, anyone have advices, improvements, more skills I didn't think of, etc', feel free to add your 2 cents (or more :wink:).

Thanks! :D

Skills
  • Trimmed Ascents
  • Trimmed Descents
  • Regulator Clearing
>Purge
>Exhale
  • Regulator Recovery
>by “scanning”
>by “hose”

• Mask Clearing
  • Mask Removal and Replacement
>Stationary
>While swimming
  • No Mask Breathing
  • No Mask Swimming
  • Mask lost drill (air pocket w/hands)
  • Valve Drills
  • S-Drills (ooa for Long hose)
  • Alternate Air Source
>Stationary
>Swimming
  • Freeflow breathing
>Partial out of mouth
>With hands
  • OOA drills/Signals
  • Alternative air share
  • Buddy Breathing
>Without a mask

• Neutral Buoyancy
>By inflator Fin Pivot
>Oral Fin Pivot
>Buddha
>Hover

• CESA
  • Kicks
>Flutter/Modified
>Scissor
>Frog/reverse/modified
>sculling
>Dolphin
>Turns/Modified
>1 fin kick
>Back kick/swim

• Regulator to snorkel and back
>Stationary
>While swimming

• Remove/Replace Weight belt
  • Remove/Replace Scuba unit
  • Simulated mouth-to-mouth
>+ tow
  • Towing
>By tank
>By feet
>Arm around shoulder
  • Pulling a diver out of the water

How about an "empty" lung regulator recovery?

When most do a regulator R&R they get a nice deep breath and then go thought the motions. In real life don't count on sucking in that deep breath

1. Exhale to your normal full extent
2. Remove the regulator and toss it
3. Retrieve, and restore breathing
4. Be sure to inhale slowly after purging since you will not have the reassurance of starting with a final clearing exhale.

A variation would be to toss your primary and recover on your secondary like an OOA diver had snatched your primary. Again repeat on "empty" lungs.

Also remove your BC and simulate a entanglement recovery or regulator leak check.

Practice deploying and stowing your cutting tools. Then repeat with the less preferred hand.

Pete

Doff and Don.

Scuba to skindiver exchange

N

I was planning on jumping in the pool in a few minutes just to practice equipment removal. Guess I will practice a few of the listed skills as well.

Looks like a good list, but I'd add that I try to practice as many of the skills you mention as possible in midwater, so as to be able to try to maintain neutral buoyancy while executing them. I got enough practice kneeling on the bottom in OW class.

How to defend against rear naked choke attack. Next, how to defend against rear attack with a knife. And finally, doing an offensive maneuver after your air hose has been cut off while doing a CESA.

Thanks everybody, for the jokes and mostly for the good advice, Pete and John, special thanks for taking this seriously. :)

Alex, I will strive for these skills but so far gear exchange either left some marks in the pool or silted the whole beach....

Fisher, as far as I'm concerned, naked doen't make me choke, at least most of the time its not ;-)

Wow. Thats a pretty good list. In fact I'm going to copy it! :D

Did some pool stuff on 03/03 one you don't have is just lay on the bottom watching the bubbles. I spent like 5 min doing this very relaxing

Back
Top Bottom