Popular Specialities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It appears wikipedia might be incorrect?It does not specify here if Rescue comes under one of the five PADI Specialty Diver courses. Perhaps someone who has done it can fill us in? If it does, this makes it equivalent to SSI's Master Diver program.
Rescue is not a specialty - its a "major" certification like OW, AOW, Divemaster, etc.

Last edited:
The Rescue Course is a Major Cert like ND just said. Its one of the most important, its when you start becoming of other dives and go into more depth at the problems and some psychology, like how to tell if a diver is stressed, if you notice any out of ordinary behaviour.

But yeah, its a full cert, a course I am sure many people would recommend people do!

Bobby

Rescue is not a specialty - its a "major" certificatiom like OW, AOW, Divemaster, etc.

Ahh thanks. I was told by a shop that PADI and SSI Master Diver cards were equivalent (they were trying to get me to ditch SSI and go to PADI with their shop).

Out of curiosity, why do you think UW Nav is a good specialty? Do you get a lot of students who want it, or is there another reason? I'm kind of on the fence about that class because on one hand, instruction never hurts as long as the information is accurate, but on the other hand navigation seems like one of those things that you just need to practice.

Naturalist I do agree on, but as previously stated, if a marine biologist is teaching it and goes above & beyond PADI's requirements then it can be an extremely good class.

Emtim, The reason I think Nav is good is two-fold. With lower viz, getting students to trust the compass is key. Even good viz environments warrants it, but with lower viz (eg SoCal waters), I can usually demonstrate the benefit. I have often "wowed" the students in OW and AOW with how close we return to our starting point (boat/shore entry point). When explaining compass use and current reading, it is a natural roll into a class where they get to practice in a "staged" environment with someone to help out if they go astray - tough to practice on your own and find you missed the point .. by a lot potentially. The second reason is that you learn from someone how to read currents, natural navigation, sand lines, reference point usage, etc.

Yes, you can learn on your own, but reminding people that are new that they did not learn how to drive by just jumping behind the wheel with no parent/sibling/instructor probably found frustration. By getting hands-on help you probably felt more comfortable behind the wheel. Yes, it does entail some salesmanship, but putting the need for nav in land-based scenarios will hopefully demonstrate the value.

As for the Naturalist.. A marine biologist would add a TON of value.. the problem is getting that point across when discussing the class to people.. Again, you can sell it, but it entails more face to face discussion.. like saying WOW, did you see that XXX on that dive. His colors were amazing.. the way the green spots really made you think his eyes were elsewhere, etc... (example).

I have had a few students ask for Nav, and am teaching a group of 5 starting this week actually. Many of the people that discuss wanting Rescue, or a desire to learn, I highly encourage this class. It will help tremendously with the search part of Rescue.... and again, anything that build confidence in diving (eg compass use) is key.

I once had a group of divers on a boat where we all returned to the anchor line. We got in the boat, and one of them noticed 2 divers off in the distance.. the FIRST thing the diver said was... Gee, I guess they didn't know how to use their compass.. I couldn't help but smile... Sure, something else could have caused the oopsie, but I let that one sit....:D

Last edited:
Ahh thanks. I was told by a shop that PADI and SSI Master Diver cards were equivalent (they were trying to get me to ditch SSI and go to PADI with their shop).

PADI changed around 1987/88. When I did my AOW in 1987, "Rescue" was just another specialty that you could take. By 1988 it was a mandatory step to reach DM or MSD.

I think SSI still regard their equivalent, "Stress & Rescue" as a simple specialty.

I don't know what the position is with other agencies.

Well, I believe they are, more or less.

PADI requires Rescue + AOW (5 dives) + 50 total dives + 5 PADI specialties.

SSI requires Stress & Rescue (more or less same thing as PADI) + 50 total dives + 4 SSI specialties.

So PADI's and SSI's are more or less the same. The only difference is that PADI requires you to take it's AOW course, which gives you 5 dives (of the 50 you need), but no "specialty" cert to go with it. It's more like a specialty "sample platter".

So, I'd say that PADI and SSI are more or less the same. Neither one requires you to take any additional stuff for the actual master cert itself - you get as a result of completing other things. It's a "recognition" cert. On the other hand, NAUI requires specific coursework and such. From what I can tell, its regarded as being more rigorous than the other two - and the only one worth paying money for. On that note, I believe that with SSI, if you complete the 4 specialties and Rescue, they give you the master card at no extra charge. With PADI, they charge you an additional fee.

Last edited:
SAS they are equivelant in meaning of they both represent the highest achievement one can obtain. Its funny that people say they can not see waisting money on useful card yet when they go to college for a degree that in the representaion of what it is is nothing more then a sheet of paper that one would hang on a wall and show people.

People should remember we see other peoples achiievements as worthless but if it is you who seek it then it is priceless. I would never trade my master diver card for a lesser card. Too me it denotes my true passion and love of the sport. It shows that I have met the criteria of what it requires and earned my title.

Its really no diffrent then someone who has no desire to ever teach or do anything more then recreational dive attempting to get a dive master cert. It would be a waste of time and money if you never had the intention on using it.

So All certs and specialties are well worth the money if it is truelly something that you want and desire.

Its funny that people say they can not see waisting money on useful card yet when they go to college for a degree that in the representaion of what it is is nothing more then a sheet of paper that one would hang on a wall and show people.
As I said earlier, if I could get my time and money back for having gone to university in exchange for turning in my degrees (and deleting the info from my transcripts), I would be happy to do so. Nevertheless, your analogy is completely flawed, for several reasons.

People should remember we see other peoples achiievements as worthless
We do??

As for achievements - what is the difference in achievement between two PADI divers who have completed OW, AOW, Rescue, 5 specialties and 50 dives, but one has a PADI master diver card? The difference is that one has achieved about $50 less in his/her bank account - and that's what many people see it as. But if the achievement is all about you and what you value, then how other people see it and what they say about it shouldn't bother you in the slightest.

Its really no diffrent then someone who has no desire to ever teach or do anything more then recreational dive attempting to get a dive master cert. It would be a waste of time and money if you never had the intention on using it.
Frankly, I don't understand this either.

As I said earlier, if I could get my time and money back for having gone to university in exchange for turning in my degrees (and deleting the info from my transcripts), I would be happy to do so. Nevertheless, your analogy is completely flawed, for several reasons.

We do??

As for achievements - what is the difference in achievement between two PADI divers who have completed OW, AOW, Rescue, 5 specialties and 50 dives, but one has a PADI master diver card? The difference is that one has achieved about $50 less in his/her bank account - and that's what many people see it as. But if the achievement is all about you and what you value, then how other people see it and what they say about it shouldn't bother you in the slightest.

Frankly, I don't understand this either.

Well to be honest it is far from being flawed. Your neighbor comes to you and tells you that she won the gymnastics of the year award. Does that mean you will run out and get it because its so prestiege. No so to you it would be worthless and meaningless. If you are a gymnist on the other hand you would see it as being very valuable so no there is no flaw there.

As for the cost to achieve. You are correct in saying you why pay for something you should get for free. So in this regard I would say why buy a bottle of water when tap water is far cheaper and more abundant. There is no flaw in the way one looks at achievement except that achievement is as only valuable as those around you respect it.

So I apologize you did not quiet see it the way it was meant.

Its funny that people say they can not see waisting money on useful card yet when they go to college for a degree that in the representaion of what it is is nothing more then a sheet of paper that one would hang on a wall and show people.

You seem to mis-understand what the PADI MSD actually is. To use your analogy, its like going to college, getting your degree and then paying out money just for a nice wooden framed photograph. You learn or gain nothing out of it, simple hand over money for a material object. It is NOT even by PADIs definitions a qualification.

Back
Top Bottom