possible switch to tech rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not sure that I understand people when they say "you can carry less weight by using a stainless steel backplate and weighted single tank adapter for singles diving or steel tank." The net effect of using steel tank, backplate, etc. is that we are still carrying the same load on our body/back U/W anyways!!! A diver would have to "stand up" with the net weight on his body and carry their body and the weight on it to the water.

I am not sure that I understand people when they say "you can carry less weight by using a stainless steel backplate and weighted single tank adapter for singles diving or steel tank." The net effect of using steel tank, backplate, etc. is that we are still carrying the same load on our body/back U/W anyways!!! A diver would have to "stand up" with the net weight on his body and carry their body and the weight on it to the water.

I am indeed carrying less weight, my ss bp is -5, I was wearing 8lbs of lead (that is 3 lbs less weight than before). I think it has to do with the ton of neoprean that wraps a modern BC. I suspect it gives your average BC a positive buoyancy that needs to be overcome with lead.

But that has more to do with the design of the particular BC. Some of the BCs have very little fluff so its a case by case basis

I have had the same transformation. Going from my bulky BCD to my stainless stell BP/Wing I have gone from 20 lbs to 8 lbs of lead diving in salt water with a 3mm wetsuit. The difference in weight between the rigs is negligible.

I have had the same transformation. Going from my bulky BCD to my stainless stell BP/Wing I have gone from 20 lbs to 8 lbs of lead diving in salt water with a 3mm wetsuit. The difference in weight between the rigs is negligible.

Did your OVERALL weight you are carrying on your body change by 12lbs???? That's a lot of weight due just to the bulkiness of a BCD. Something wrong here.

My personal example:

My old BC weighed about 9 lbs and was at least 2lbs buoyant (I'd bet more like 4)

My current BP/W weights about 9 lbs as well and is around about 6lbs negative (2lb plate, 3lb STA, misc additional metal in d-rings, cam bands etc...).

Standing on land they both weigh the same BUT because my BP is 8 lbs more negative underwater that my standard BC, I can carry 8 lb's less lead.

I agree with elan. However, if you assist on the change, the buoyancy issue is that the gear you switch to is heavier than the traditional bcd, so you will use less added weight. Can I sugget you get some additional hours underwater using different rigs , and then determine the best for the type of diving you will be doing. I am all for equipping yourslef, even with multiple equipment packages for different condtions and purposes. First define the type of diving and activity you will be doing, then determine what you need from the gear you will wear for the dives, and only then look at your gear options.
DivemasterDennis

Did your OVERALL weight you are carrying on your body change by 12lbs???? That's a lot of weight due just to the bulkiness of a BCD. Something wrong here.

It adds up just fine. following the same logic as my 8 lb "cut"

If his bulky BC is maybe 4 lb positive and his SS BP is 8lb negative that is a buoyancy decrease of 12 lbs. assuming both BC's weigh the same on a scale on dry land.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom