possible switch to tech rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have used both Jacket style BCD and owned a Transpac. So prefer a Harness style over the jacket. I'm a big guy and since I've been dropping weight don't have to worry about having to drop a few hundred bucks on a new BCD to fit right. As someone just said, either cut the harness to fit or drop about $20 for some more 2" nylon webbing.

The only thing I didn't like about the Transpac Harness was its bulkiness (thats my perception). I do love how I was to trim out in the water with it. I like the minimalistic approach of the hogatharian BP/w setup and will suit my style of diving (as in comfort) more than the Transpac would.

if your not sure if your really gonna like it, maybe look at picking up some of the parts used (like the backplate) and if need be, the wing. Get with a mentor or someone nearby to get the proper amount of lift. (don't want to much or to little). Best of luck.

i am trying to find someone local that has one. as of now, my dive partner is my girl. i just joined a new dive group so i hopefully i get to meet some ppl.

i am been doing some reading and research on tech rigs. i am really thinking about leaving my seaquest bcd to a transpac or the hollis harness.
As several have said, a BP/W is not necessarily a 'tech rig', rather it is one style of a back inflate BCD. I am interested in your two selections - why did you focus on those particular options (Transpac or a Hollis rig)? Nothing wrong with them, just curious.
why would one switch to a tech rig? advantages?
Lots (and LOTS) of SB comment on that. Most people switch because a B/W provides a more streamlined BCD option, and is quite stable in the water (which is true of most back inflate BCD options). Since you are thinking of a new BCD anyway, a BP/W is a reasonable option. Personally, I like the simplicty and modularity of a BP/W. And, I like the convenience of using a BP/W for single tank BM, double tank BM, and double tank SM. If you go with a metal BP, particularly a SS BP, as several have said you will probably drop some weight. For me that was a distinct advantage.
if i do get one, what extra gear will i need?
As noted, there really isn't 'extra' gear required with a BP/W. One item that you may want is a pocket (or two), either sipped onto the waist strap or attached to your wetsuit, or available in something like some X shorts. Most jacket BCDs have pockets, while BP/W rigs do not. That is also a good thing, as it tends to discourage divers from trying to carry the entire contents of their gear bag on every dive. :)

I bought Halcyon right from the get go. I tried a few jacket styles and just found that the Halcyon just felt good once it was on. I felt very "hugged" in a jacket style BC.

I'm not a DIR diver but i do like the idea of carrying less, or should I say not carrying a bunch of crap i don't need, JUST the necessary stuff. Now while the brand is entirely up to you and i am very aware of what may happen next but I encourage you to look at Halcyon, the quality is unsurpassed in my opinion.

I bought Halcyon right from the get go. I tried a few jacket styles and just found that the Halcyon just felt good once it was on. I felt very "hugged" in a jacket style BC.

I'm not a DIR diver but i do like the idea of carrying less, or should I say not carrying a bunch of crap i don't need, JUST the necessary stuff. Now while the brand is entirely up to you and i am very aware of what may happen next but I encourage you to look at Halcyon, the quality is unsurpassed in my opinion.

Where did you buy your Halcyon?

As several have said, a BP/W is not necessarily a 'tech rig', rather it is one style of a back inflate BCD. I am interested in your two selections - why did you focus on those particular options (Transpac or a Hollis rig)? Nothing wrong with them, just curious. Lots (and LOTS) of SB comment on that. Most people switch because a B/W provides a more streamlined BCD option, and is quite stable in the water (which is true of most back inflate BCD options). Since you are thinking of a new BCD anyway, a BP/W is a reasonable option. Personally, I like the simplicty and modularity of a BP/W. And, I like the convenience of using a BP/W for single tank BM, double tank BM, and double tank SM. If you go with a metal BP, particularly a SS BP, as several have said you will probably drop some weight. For me that was a distinct advantage.As noted, there really isn't 'extra' gear required with a BP/W. One item that you may want is a pocket (or two), either sipped onto the waist strap or attached to your wetsuit, or available in something like some X shorts. Most jacket BCDs have pockets, while BP/W rigs do not. That is also a good thing, as it tends to discourage divers from trying to carry the entire contents of their gear bag on every dive. :)

reason why i chose these models was just me reading on the differences. they also look complete. i saw them in a package deal that basically came with everything in one price. i am also open to other options. i also saw this one from hollis
Hollis BackPlate and Wing Package discounts on sale Hollis
i also want my girl to have her own gear. surprisingly she fits in my seaquest bcd. so i would just give her mine. now that i am back from deployment, we have been trying to do shore dives every two weeks. so we are diving frequently now. it will eventually pay itself off instead of the rental.

IMHO, Halcyon, Oxycheq and DSS make the best BP&W systems. It's certainly worth investigating those brands before making a purchase.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom