Pregnancy and Scuba!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

like TSandM said, what little data there is points to a certain level of risk to diving while pregnant

basically everybody says to err on the side of caution and not do it, just in case there IS a risk associated ...

so, i promise i'll stop diving if i get pregnant. honest.

Between the morning sickness, fatigue and bloating I would not have even considered diving at the beginning of my pregnancies. Second trimester I felt fine, but I wouldn't have fit in my drysuit.

I choose not to dive during my pregnancies mainly due to the unknown/unproven effects or lack of effects on a growing baby. I have a lifetime to dive.

Congrats if your family is expecting.

Hey did you find anything out about diving while pregnant .. Im supposed to do my open water dives this weekend to finish my course and I just found out im pregnant yesterday

Quoted from the DAN website:

The overall picture of the literature indicates that, while the effect may be small, diving during pregnancy does increase the risk to the fetus, and the consequences could be devastating to all involved. Appreciating these essential factors, the prudent course is to avoid diving while pregnant. While it is possible that some diving could be completed without impact, the absolute risk of any given exposure cannot be determined from the available data. Given the ethical challenges of research on diving during pregnancy and the fact that diving represents a completely avoidable risk for most women, it is unlikely that studies will be conducted to establish the absolute risk in the foreseeable future.

Hey did you find anything out about diving while pregnant .. Im supposed to do my open water dives this weekend to finish my course and I just found out im pregnant yesterday

We did her AOW while she was pregnant and didn't know it and the baby is fine so far... that being said... I wouldn't do it if you already know. It is unknown exactly if diving can affect the baby but its not really worth it to risk it since you wont be able to dive until you have the baby anyways.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom