prescription drugs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ASA400

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all!

I'm going to Coz for the first time since I've been on maintenance drugs. I take various prescriptions for blood pressure and cholesterol. Will I have any problems getting in and out of Mexico with these drugs, assuming I keep them in the original prescription bottles with my name on them?

Thanks!

I've never had any problems traveling with those types of drugs. I usually carry them in the daily pillboxes and have the prescription insert with me. No one has ever questioned them at all. I expect a large quantity of pills might cause eyebrows to raise. I don't think I'd carry a full 3 month prescription bottle with me.

I think problems are highly unlikely. I have come and left Coz many times with prescription meds. When I come down for the winter, I come with several months worth of them.

I just entered - and left - Cozumel with my RXs with no issues, no one asked and they were right in my carry-on for anyone to see. I did carry in the original bottle just in case but obviously it wasn't needed.

In the UK, anyone on prescription medications has an NHS repeat script counterfoil giving all the details and that is usually enough anywhere in the world to show at the airports. I am sure there must be a similar document in the US, proving that you are on those medications and so need them on a holiday.

I always take a couple weeks supply (all the fat american pills) in unlabeled weekly pill containers thru Cozumel and Cancun, never have had a question asked. For work I have gone thru many Mexico and Canadian airports and always have a week supply with me and never a question.

As others have said, I've never had any problems entering Mexico or the US with medications.

I do recommend to patients that they carry pills in their original labeled bottles, but I don't actually do that myself. If any are controlled substances (and blood pressure and cholesterol medications would not be), this could be important.

I have been in an out of COZ hundreds of times and never had a problem with my meds. I do keep a picture of my prescriptions on my phone; but, have never had any one ask.

While you are there you should buy more of what you take. You can't get narcotics with out a script in Mexico but anything else just walk in and buy. There is a reason people charter busses on MX and canada to buy their RX drugs. I would at least check the prices. Don't be fooled, they are the same drugs, made in the same lab as here. Their government just limits the price that can be charged. Unless you try to bring back 6 years worth or something like a 1000 valume US customs won't say anything, you are bringing back what you have a script for and they are not a controlled substance.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I'll be bringing the original bottles with me, so I guess I won't have any problems!

Back
Top Bottom