prescription mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had contacted Prescription Dive Mask a short time ago and this was the response I received.

The cost to install your bifocal prescription into any glass plate dive mask is $179.50. Return postage is only $4.90. We can complete and ship a week after having a dive mask to work with.

Prices probably changed but in a previous thread, which is where I came across this place, there were many who recommended them. They have testimonials on their website also if you want to check references.
http://rxdivemask.com/

I haven't decided when I am going to have it done, but it is something I intend to do.

Randy

:01zz: In January I start my classroom & pool training with the Hart House (University of Toronto) Underwater Club. It's NAUI-certified. I'm excited about it but have a question: Without my glasses, I can see clearly only about 1 foot in front of me, and I can't wear contacts. I know I can get prescription goggles but I've been advised not to do that until I'm sure I'm going to pursue diving. So...what do I do until then? The only thing I can think of is standing REAL close to the instructor, but I might make him/her nervous.

skybird:
i wear bifocals. Am trying to decide if I want single lens or bifocals for my mask. Has anyone who wears bifocals gotten single? How did that work? How about the bifocal lens......are the lined or unlined? do they work well?

SkyBird

I normally wear progressive lense eye glasses. I have bonded lined bifocal overlays in my mask and they work out great. When I have it on I can't even detect the overlay edges.

As for getting singles it depends. I needed near and far correction for both eyes but my critical need was for near correction on the left to see may gauges well. Compared to my identical no presciption mask my eyes are much more rested at the end of the dive with the distance correction. If you surface for a bearings check you will want good vision then as well. The best practice is to always mimioc your full prescription, it exists for a reason.

Watching small life near the bottom in the near vison portion of the lenses is breathtaking. Considering your dive gear investment do it right on this detail.

Pete

newdiver-toronto:
:01zz: In January I start my classroom & pool training with the Hart House (University of Toronto) Underwater Club. It's NAUI-certified. I'm excited about it but have a question: Without my glasses, I can see clearly only about 1 foot in front of me, and I can't wear contacts. I know I can get prescription goggles but I've been advised not to do that until I'm sure I'm going to pursue diving. So...what do I do until then? The only thing I can think of is standing REAL close to the instructor, but I might make him/her nervous.

You really do need to see while doing your instruction. My suggestion would be to go ahead and get a good mask. Take some time, find one that fits you well and get the lenses installed. It is VERY important you find a mask that fits you. Cost and style are totally unimportant. An inexpensive mask that fits you is worth it's weight in gold, an expensive mask that leaks is worthless, check every mask you can find before deciding on one. If you don't need bifocals the cost is not that bad and you can always use them for snorkeling if you decide not to dive.

By the way, here is your first diving lesson. Goggles are for swimming, we dive with mask. Flipper was a TV show dolphin, fins are what we dive with. :)
Welcome to the board and diving.

herman:
You really do need to see while doing your instruction. My suggestion would be to go ahead and get a good mask. Take some time, find one that fits you well and get the lenses installed. It is VERY important you find a mask that fits you. Cost and style are totally unimportant. An inexpensive mask that fits you is worth it's weight in gold, an expensive mask that leaks is worthless, check every mask you can find before deciding on one. If you don't need bifocals the cost is not that bad and you can always use them for snorkeling if you decide not to dive.

By the way, here is your first diving lesson. Goggles are for swimming, we dive with mask. Flipper was a TV show dolphin, fins are what we dive with. :)
Welcome to the board and diving.

Thanks, now I won't embarrass myself (any further).

Seavision also has their own masks, just about every style, which saves some money compared to adding lenses to a similar mask from another brand.

I have a Bifocal 2000 which is like a Zeagle Ebon or TUSA Liberator. It's made of ground polycarbonate, (I prefer clear), instead of bonding onto glass. Also very light weight.

http://www.seavisionusa.com/

Chad

I'm using a Cressi Horizon mask, and thanks to Father Time, also need prescription lenses. I checked out Prescription Dive Masks of San Diego, but I have another option that I'm not sure will work or not. I have military lenses for my protective mask that fit perfectly in my dive mask. Thus, I'm not replacing the original Cressi lenses, but adding another set of lenses (prescription) inside the mask. The mask continues to fit perfectly on my face and I can see 20/20, but I'm worried about excessive fogging. My question is will I experience blinding fogging conditions underwater with this setup? Thanks in advance.

louis:
any recommendations where to send my mask and vision rx to get bifocals installed in my mask? Any idea on the turn around time to get the mask back?
If you want to correct your bi-focal check out the HydroOptix mask. The Magic Bifocal Effect allows you to focus close up and at distance with out the hassle of bifocal lenses. www.HydroOptix.com

Another vote for Prescription Dive Mask.

It is an excellent work and communication. Even, you can get 5% DC after mentioning "Scubaboard." Call or send an email to Lisa, llpdm@cox.net.

DSCN2600.JPG

I use a SeaVision mask with guage readers. What I like about these is the magnification portion of the lens is molded in, so there is no optical step to interrupt my forward vision, and even more importantly, it does not allow an accumulation fo water to perch itself on the step of a glued on guage reader.

I wonder if anyone else has masks with lenses with ground/molded in guage readers....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom