Problem with generic braided hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apparently others have reported the same:

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Every time I start thinking about switching over to the braided hoses I see see something like this and end up staying with the basic rubber ones.

Why have we been switching anyway? I've only got Miflex on my octo but not that crazy about it from the get go. I don't recall what Miflex was supposed to fix or be better than. Apparentl, my hose is OK but a number of the strands are stivking up here and there. It's starting to look a little fuzzy.

Why have we been switching anyway? I've only got Miflex on my octo but not that crazy about it from the get go. I don't recall what Miflex was supposed to fix or be better than. Apparentl, my hose is OK but a number of the strands are stivking up here and there. It's starting to look a little fuzzy.

Yeah, they all get scratchy over time. I really appreciate the flexibility for short back up hose and inflator hoses but for the others I don't really care. Due to my OCD nature I have to have either all braided or all rubber, mixing and matching would throw my world into chaos.

---------- Post added July 26th, 2015 at 04:47 AM ----------

They do pack smaller, if that matters.

2 OC rigs, and a rebreather with MiFlex. 100's/1000's of dives, never a single issue. That's what I know. I am suspect of 2 hoses failing at EXACTLY the same time. Perhaps rinsing procedures/first stages, etc., need looked at ? Salt water in the hoses ?

They are:

1. More flexible, do not push and pull at the second stages
2. Coil up smaller for packing and travel
3. Much lighter, significantly so, again for packing and travel
4. Kink resistance

I am not convinced these are Miflex Xtreme hoses and if they are then not the newer types. The problem with things in that part of the world is you can buy a Rolaix for $50.00. But it ain't a Rolex. The scribing on the Miflex hoses in my possession bought over the last couple of years, they are laser etched.

But, yes, I would like to know. Down south where I am from, a Coke is a coke and may actually be a Sprite, a Pepsi or an actual Coke. People refer to any braided hose as a miflex but it might be a something else. I guess I am a born skeptic until proven otherwise.

• Miflex hoses are fully recognisable with our name clearly shown on every fitting, as required under EN250 for product traceability.

James

Miflex hoses have the work Miflex etched in the crimp. Should be pretty easy to tell if it is or not.

Maybe not.

My wife uses a couple MIFLEX hoses. I even found the original packaging with the XSscuba label, Miflex Xtreme 40" LP Hose, p/n MLP40-bk. No "MIFLEX" etching. Markings are as shown in the first post.

:confused:

After looking more closely, the marking on my hoses and those in the original post include the stamp "MFX" which apparently stands for Miflex. When I first saw that I misread it as "MEX". So, these are not some generic hoses we are looking at. They do appear to be Miflex hoses.

Time to alert XSscuba.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those might be older Miflex hoses, not sure. I see the one has a date of 2009?

The Miflex hoses of today are not the same as those in 2009. But, the manufacturers need to answer these things, speculation is not accomplishing anything. The hoses that are shedding particles and plugging the second stage volcano orifice, well, that is dangerous for sure.

When a product is put out in the aviation world and there are failures that cannot be obviously explained, the manufactures generally ask for the product back, some times the FAA insists, and part of my work is finding root cause for failures. Most of the time it is stupid people tricks, but sometimes not.

Maybe change out hoses every five years. If I were still cave/deep/deco diving (which mostly is in my past but for light deco) I would change out hoses at least that often regardless of what they were made from.

James

Back
Top Bottom